i'm just now starting out, in business, and i'm wondering what i should do

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cubbie, Oct 9, 2005.

1. cubbie

cubbie LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I'm just starting out in business, and i have no money, to get equipment, i have a rake, trash bags, a trash bag holder, My dad, says wait until, March and put a ad in the paper, and my mom says go out now and winter and take donations, and get my name out that way, and go rake leaves, and shovel, snow, which way should i go :help:

2. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

get a job and make some money for next season.

I dont think people would give donations to you....

3. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Start with your neighbors. Surely there must be some older people around you that would be willing to pay to have their leaves raked and their lawns cleaned up, not to mention sidewalks shoveled. Make sure you do the job to the best of your ability and maybe they'll hire you next spring.
    Good luck.

4. cubbie

cubbie LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

or would i be suited to get on at a mowing/plowing, and go that way, b/c i want to start plowing at some point, but i know more about mowing, then plowing

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Best start time is spring no question about it take what work you can find now and over the winter. By all means do a few clean ups and some snow work if you can get it but get a job as well you have 5-6 months to raise enough cash to start this right. ThatÂ’s not as simple as it sounds if your going to mow then you need a mower a trimmer a blower and a way to get there. You also need cash for advertising unless you wish to starve to death you will need to put some real time and thought into this. You need money for operation costs for at least 6-8 week to carry you till you start getting some real money. If you are serious about this then do not go in with nothing next year. I do not care if you have to push carriages at a supermarket just make some cash.

6. cubbie

cubbie LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

i'm wondering, there is this place called Geist, i could get really quick, b/c i use to have a paper route there, and go put flyers in there mail boxes, and it will be nice money, they are very rich there. i'm going to go there first b/c it will be a chance to get good money really quick, with the equipment i have now

7. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a job with someone else for a few weeks or longer .
    You'll learn more in one month than you will in one year by yourself .
    School of hard knocks , .... sucks

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Just make sure you have enough money on hand to pay your fines and bail yourself out of jail if they prosecute.

9. cubbie

cubbie LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

what if no1 will give me a job, b/c i want to plow in the winter, and mow during the spring, summer, and fall b/c i live in Indianapolis

10. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Big cube.......................nothing is going to come easy. You have to first..work hard toward your dream. Its not going to happen over night. Be patient and don't get in over your head at a cheep prices. To build a solid business takes time and you will make mistakes along the way. Stay focused on your goals...(yes you need to set goals...realistic goals).

Most of all....cash is king.....don't get in over your head with credit.

back out............. :D