I'm just starting my company

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by LONE STAR 31, Jan 9, 2008.

1. LONE STAR 31

LONE STAR 31 LawnSite Member

Hello all. I stumbled across this website last year, and have gained alot of knowlege just by reading post after post. I bought a Kubota 4800 4wd with a front end loader a few months ago. Also bought a Bush hog 6' shredder, and a box blade. After much research I have decided to jump into the industry, and try my hardest to make some good money. I have done jobs just by word of mouth through friends, but feel it's time to really try to drum up business for the upcoming spring season. How do most of you get work? Cold calling, newspaper ads, yellow pages, etc? I'm just trying to get established, and really don't know which way to go at this point. Any tips would be appreciated.

2. SouthernLandworks

SouthernLandworks LawnSite Member

Come up with a business name. Have some decals made to put on your truck or trucks. Put an add in the newspaper. Maybe get some stake signs to put up. See if any convience stores will let you put an add up on their windows.
    Just a few ideas to get you name out there.

3. shopmanual

shopmanual LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

If I were you I would hand out some fliers. Print up some fliers that look sharp and describe your business and what you do. Stick them in some mailboxes in neighborhoods that could use a little sprucing up. Southernlandworks was right, you do need a name. There's a tree removal business in my town that parks their trucks with their decals near the main road, and they get a lot business from people seeing their trucks out and about.

4. columbia

columbia LawnSite Member

Putting something in other peoples mailbox is a federal offense. Wouldn't want to have that happen in your first year of business...

5. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

How about business cards on the outside of the mail box? Is that legal?

6. columbia

columbia LawnSite Member

Dont know the answer to that. I just know that the boy scouts around here got in trouble one year for placing their christmas tree fliers in mailboxes. there was a little write up in the paper explaining the law basically has to do with the identity theft and people going through people mail boxes. I wouldn't think the outside would be a problem...

7. john_bud

john_bud LawnSite Member

Flyers on the door would solve the issue. Nowadays touching a mail box makes all sorts of folks nervous!

jb

8. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Put a big sign in your front lawn with your name , number, and what you do. Make it nice and classy. You'll be amazed how many people will notice it.