I'm looking for a new 48" mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Andyshine77, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Andyshine77

Andyshine77 LawnSite Member

Hallo everyone.:waving:

I'm looking for a new 48" hydro walk-behind to start my new endeavor with. Now I'm not a total novice ( I know my 2 cycle equipment), however I need some help in choosing a mower. I'm looking to spend no more than 5,000 hopefully less. What are my options as far as brands Scag, eXmark etc. What are your thoughts on the Cub-Cadet (Lesco) hff1748 ?

Thanks for the help Andy.

2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag and Exmark are both excellent brands.We run Exmark, excellent mowers,well built, the cut is top notch,and they lay a beautiful stripe.Scag is a mower built like a tank,good cut,although I think Exmark's cut tops the Scag on my turf conditions.We have no experience with cub cadet, lesco,but I have read excellent feedback here on lawnsite about them.The feedback suggests the Lesco,cuts good at a very good price.I would suggest you demo if at all possible.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Used 48" eXmark TTHP.

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

You have listed them in order of my preference. I run exmark and lesco. Have run scag but there is no dealer close by. Exmark Viking will run you right around 4700 with mulch kit. Cut is good and love the ECS. The Lesco will run you about 3700 and also is a good mower but has several areas that the exmark beats it. ECS, exmark cut is better, lesco mulch kit is nothing but a plate, parts on hand at dealer. Most annoying trait on my new lesco is that it only has an operator presense switch on the left grip. On the lesco stay away from the 52 deck as it tends to become flexible with time and the cut suffers.

5. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i used a scag two years back for a few days and loved it...i would look and see if you can test a few some dealers let you and see what u like

6. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

buy a new lesco 48'' hydro w/b, its at a great price also 3600, check it out
    www.lesco.com

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

If you want something that is in the price range of the lesco hydro but with a floating deck that's much easier to adjust the height on, look at a Toro Floating deck with a T-Bar belt drive. It's kinda the inbetween mower, mid price, midway between a hydro and belt, and has the float deck so you don't have to jimmy spacers around all the time.

8. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

lesco has a hydro floating deck for 3600 also, it has easier controls

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah... I was thinking that black beast was more $$$ for some reason... I have never heard much feedback about them on here. I would love to have a floating deck 48" walkbehind. I would put a sulky on it of course, to run on my smaller lawns, espscially when it's wet out. I would have to bag with it, that's the only part I don't like about walkbehinds is the catcher hanging out there like they do. I would get an accelerator catcher for sure.

10. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Scag Tiger Cub I would sell you for $5000, its like new (less than 90 hours). Much more productive than a walk behind. Im in Columbus, so not a far trip!!