Im looking for some new Equipment.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SuperFast, Nov 18, 2005.

1. SuperFast

SuperFast LawnSite Member
    from Tenn

Im new to the bis. And I will be starting up in march. I was wondering what brand of equipment I should get----- My friend has a Hustler super mini Z 52" 25hp kaw. It's a good soild mow; But it does't cut worth crap. What is some other brands I should take a look at ? Im not the riches person so I am looking for something with a good price. If you could please list some mowers and some facts about that brand also a ball park figure on how much it cost I would greatly apprate it.

2. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Scag has tiger cubs for 6500 in my area. I think the 52" 24 hp honda costs more than that though.

3. edenex

edenex LawnSite Member

I have used John Deere, Husqvarna, Scag, Bobcat, and Exmark commercial mowers. By far, I prefer Exmark for durability, cut, and service. The Exmarks cut better than any of the others. Air flow is crucial to a good cut. Whatever brand you choose, make sure that you keep sharp blades and clean the underside of the deck weekly, or daily during the spring. Depending on where you live, you are limited to what brands you can buy. You must buy your machines from a dealer that is located near your business. All machines have downtime and if it takes you more than 20 minutes to get to your dealer for parts, your business will struggle. My advice would be to get Examrk if you can.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Very open question as all will like what they have.
    Just stay commercial and you should do OK.
    Ask your friend if he has sharpened the blades.
    If you buy a walk behind stay with hydro. It will be a much cheaper unit to own.
    As far as cost it all dependes on what type of mowing you will do and what type of unit you want. They start at about $2500 and go up and up. And up.

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

How does it not cut worth a crap? We have had great luck w/ the cut on both Dixie Chopper and Hustler mowers.

6. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

My super mini z didn't cut worth crap till I switched to high lifts, sharpened them, balanced them, leveled my deck, and tightened my belt. Now the differenced is night and day. Demo a properly set up super mini z and I think you will be pretty impressed.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I really like my exmark, good dealer support behind them as well, thats a big deciding factor, what brands you have available to you and how is the dealer, it may be worth it to you to travel 30 to even 45 mins or more to find a really good dealer selling a good solid brand that works for you. Just my .02

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, the setup of the deck and blades is crucial to a fine cut... Even my toro Wb is the same way, and it didn't come from the dealer adjusted the way I like it so keep this in mind as well.

Some mowers do better with gators, for others the high lifts work best... It varies, also might change if your deck is at a different height, last but not least the blade height in relation to the skirt makes a difference: The HIGHER the skirt AND the LOWER the blade, the better the cut, somedays I almost wish we could do away with the skirt, so to speak.