1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

I'm losing customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smitty58, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

This week I've lost 3 customers bringing the total lost for this season up to 5.
    1 moved, 1 decided he needed the exercise so he's gonna do it himself, and 3 elderly single ladies. The one I lost today leaves a voice mail "your guy damaged my siding and I have not been happy with your work so I found someone else". So I drove past her house and it looks great ,what is going on?
    I realize the whole "fixed income and if I can find someone cheaper your fired" thing ,but this is getting ridiculous. I'm about ready to not take any new customers if they are over the age of 60. Am I the only one that is having problems with the senoir citizens? All of my younger professional clients are thrilled with our work so what the heck is the deal? To top it off I finally convinced my wife to go full time next year and every time she hears a voice mail like this one she gives me the classic ,"see why I don't like this business" song and dance. Anyone else have this problem?

2. oakwood

oakwood LawnSite Member

Man, that is a ton of truck your cruising around in. Literally :p Motivate yourself to find twice the clients you lose. Go find 10 young couples. Old folks are tight, I agree, but they always pay.

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Smitty, this one is going to bring me out of lurking. I posted almost the very same thing some time back about not taking anyone over 60, Ive had trouble with 90% of them. In the past 3 weeks Ive lost 4 and 3 were over 60, and one did me EXACTLY like yours, all of a sudden did not like my work and it has been great up until she found someone cheaper. Just dont let it get to you, just part of the biz (even though it does urk me sometimes) why dont they just tell the truth, I got someone cheaper, I would respect them more than insulting my work!

4. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

If that bothers you, don't ever move to Florida. ROFL

I know its not funny, just roll with it and never take anything personal.

If you advertise well, it will work itself out. Best of luck!

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Did you get out to look at the damaged siding, or just "drive by her house"?

6. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't get out only because I had the family with me on our way to another exciting high school graduation ,but the house is a raised ranch so the siding is approx 18" above the ground. I really doubt the siding was damaged since we run with the deflector down ,but it is possible. The house is also 40 years old with the original siding so it's not exactly mint condition. My son mowed it this morning probably around noon and by 5 pm she called to say she found someone else. Sounds like she already had someone to me ,but maybe I'm just paranoid.

7. BareFootLawn

BareFootLawn LawnSite Member

I do 80% commercial properties. My two best customers (residential) are senior citizens. They refer alot of work to me, some of it I have to politely turn down, but last year, one of them got me into a condo association that pays really well.
    I wouldn't trade 10 accounts for either one.
    Just my 2 cents.

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

This has been a hell of a year. We lost Every Major residential client due to sales of the house, and these houses are worth more than $2 mil apiece. We did sign up the buyers of all the houses, and the old owners new houses so this year has been great so far.

9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

It's happened to me, too. I think most seniors have the mindset that cheaper is always better. It's just how they were brought up. It's their nature to pinch pennies, even if they don't need to. Just chalk it up as an opportunity to fill that slot with a new, posiibly more profitable, customer that will appreciate your work.

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have lost some to the cheaper prices, but they seem to call back sooner or later. I run my route same day and about the same time each week. Some of the cheaper guys are never there the same day and do lawncare as a 2nd job and cant keep a schedule when weather gets them behind. I have found out that even being higher, just being dependable means alot to the Seniors.Just hang in there and maybe it will turn around