Im losing yards big time!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jun 18, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I just got a call from a customer that I got new 6 months ago. The yard was horribe, I had to haul in dirt to fill in holes and plant grass and fert. The yard is now great looking. He tells me that thier yard was so bad that they had to get it cut this week, I tell him I was going to discuss it with him Monday about going from eow to every week because of all the rain and most of my other clients have agreed to this untill the rain quits and growth slows back down, He then tells me that they found someone who will do it for 25 dollars. I was doing it for 40 and it took an 1:35 to do it. I asked him did the new person have license and insurance and he said he did not care he was just trying to find cheaper! I had just wrote out a check for 468 for my insurance to mail is what really got me. I know I sound the most negative of this board but dam it, this is aggravating. Ive lost 4 this week to these lowballers. I had put my truck in the paper Tuesday for sale trying to cut some bills lose. The only thing I know to do is go back down to bare bones equipment and no license and insurance so I can start cutting for these dirt cheap prices. Anyone else having this problem this time for the year? Im really trying to maintian an upbeat attitude but Im really starting to feel beat again. How the heck can you cut a yard this size for 25?

2. MORETORQUE

MORETORQUE LawnSite Member

Go back to school, stupid !

3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Nice Response.This guy has a problem and thats what you com back with.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

And just who the hell are you? Yeah, just what I need some smartaleck. Responses like this are why I dont post on LS much anymore. Geeezz!

5. kory landscaping

kory landscaping LawnSite Member

Hey, Qualitylawncare4U do you thing maybe Moretorque is a lowballer?.
    Sorry to hear about you losing customers, but one thing I've learn When you lose one customer there's 4 new ones that come along.Good Luck

Kory Landscaping

6. Lux Lawn

Take it from this guy he's loaded!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

7. QualityLawnCare4u

LOL, Kory, probably. I wished those 4 new ones would come along. Im trying to attract clients who want a dependable LCO, not someone who will drop you because they found someone cheaper,even though when this guy dropped me said my work was great, but what good was the effort for, it did me no good. I would have done just as well to just half-azz mowed it and left.

8. MORETORQUE

MORETORQUE LawnSite Member

It was a joke, but I do lawn maintenance for exercise as well as money. Face it , it's not rocket science so either buckle up or throw in the towel. I just started my business and I am doing good. I find if I just mainly do commercial minumum of 1000 $ a month I cut alot of the idiots out.

I found residentials are more trouble than they are worth, just a pain in the butt for chump change. If you can get a good commercial route where the employers have a good cash flow and will pay for good work you can make good money.

No hard feelings but it is a dog eat dog world!

9. QualityLawnCare4u

Larry, Im glad somebody is loaded! Im waitng for it to be me.

10. Lux Lawn

Qualitylawncare4u

Maybe try putting an ad in the paper looking for more work,sometimes half way through the season a lot of people are not happy with their current company.Maybe come up with some discount coupons not to lowball but to get the phone ringing again.I know KORY LANDSCAPING has different monthly specials every month maybe you could try that and make up some money on the side.

MORETORQUE--I have no hard feeling I just didn't want to see the guy get jumped when he was down.Every-things cool.