I'm Losing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hubb, Jun 11, 2002.

1. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

Well, I lost 4 accounts with one swift move Monday. I was cutting for these two apartment managers. One really likes me but the other one apparently doesn't. The main office gave 2 of the complexes to the lady that doesn't like me and she with no warning wrote me and terminated our contracts. Thats about 30,000 I won't be making this year! She never has ever contacted me or complained about my work. I knew she was probably going to be hard to please when I took the job but this is really bad. I called the main office since this lady won't return my calls and her boss said that she complained about me hitting the side of the buildings and damaging the siding. I never ever hit any buildings. She is sadly mistaken on that one. Her boss said that my prices were too high. I charge a flat $60.00 per acre. I don't think thats to high for multi-unit housing.
    I tell ya, I can't figure this one out. I was working my butt off trying to please these people and this is the thanks I get. The other manager still wants me to cut for him. But if the main office is not pleased with my work (although they don't even know where the complexes are at) I wonder if I should still cut for them at all. They never pay on time anyway. Its going to be really hard to replace even half of that work this time of the season. I still have about 20 days to cut on the contracts that were terminated. I don't know if I should blow them off or keep cutting. I need advice on that and how to get work now. Please any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm really depressed over this. This has been the worst month of my life I think. A couple of weeks ago I found out my mom has terminal cancer and then this happens. Life really sucks sometimes. :(

2. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Honor the contract through the termination date.

Stopping now will just hurt you by cutting your income even more.

Handle it in a professional manner and they may remember you if the need service again.

3. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

The one universal truth: This too shall pass. Honor the contract. The fact of the matter is that this woman may not be the complex manager next week, next month or next year. Everything changes and if you are a stand up company you may have another shot in the future. It's a tough hit to take to the income, but there is a lesson to be learned, as I learned, that big accounts are nice when they come on, but painful when they leave. Work like the devil to add smaller accounts as they are your base, the large ones are gravey. JD

4. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with bruces. Honor the remainder of the contract. Your professionalism could be rewarded. If this other manager jumps ship to another company, they could remember that you took the high road, and recommend you to their new employer. Sorry about the news of your mom. You and your family has been added to my prayer list.

5. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like to me she has a friend, or some kin folk , in the cutting biz. she has to come up with some excuse (in her own mind) to get rid of you.. so she says you are to high, or you are damageing the property. this will make her fill better about herself for incorrectly firing you.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

hate it bud ,but she got a boyfriend or something in the buisness . mabe even money coming under the table..
    u lost a big chunk o change there. sorry.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Try not to worry. A good worker will always find work. I lost two lawns one week and by the end of the week I had two new lawns that paid even better.

8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Yeah, it sounds like she has close contact with someone else that wanted the job (family, friend, etc). Or another LCO is offering her a 'slice of the pie' for the contract.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Cancer runs in our family and my mom is a 2 time cancer survivor (praise God!) so I can sympathize. Try to keep your chin up during these difficult times and be there for your mom and the rest of the family.

Everything will work out with time. Another, and probably better, account will come your way soon.

9. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the re-assurance everybody. Thats what I like about this site the most, everybody is there to help. And thanks for the prayers rkbrown. We'll need them. :angel:

10. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

I've been down that road before,(with apts.)
    Something better will come your way.

Really sorry to read about your Mother. Hope she beats it.
    I lost my Mom a couple years back to cancer. Stay strong for her. She'll need support.Prayers from us here also.