I'm never doing that again (or don't let this happen to you!)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MDLawnman, Dec 31, 2006.

1. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

In the interest of starting the new year on the right foot and sharing some mistakes that happened to me in 2006, I'm going to start this thread with several mistakes that I made. I wish everyone health, wealth, and happiness in 2007:

1. Keep BOTH hands on the hedge trimmer when it's running at all times. (Lesson learned - 6 stitches on my left knee)

2. Steep hills are for walk behinds, string trimmers, or for growing ground cover. (Lesson learned - ZTR mowers will slide downhill at a rate of speed twice that at which you have the ability to jump off)

3. A 48" deck (or 60" or 52" or whatever) means exactly that. Don't try to squeeze the mower between the work truck and a wall. (Lesson learned - new front left tire on work truck where the mower blades cut through the tire)

While each of these incidents are embarrassing to me I hope that others can learn from my errors.
  2. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Never pee-pee downwind.

Never pee-pee on a customers property.

Don't spit with a face shield down.
  3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

You forgot Never pee up hill
  4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I meant: Never pee into the wind...
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I guess I got by easy with only 3 stitches in my left knee. Cost=$950, you?
  6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

-Never yell obscenities when things go wrong (just because the mower is running doesnt mean the clients' kids didnt hear you inside the house... oops)
    -Never say "good enough" in front of your employee, or customer.
    -just wanted to add a few that embarrased me, too!
  7. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind LawnSite Member

after a long winter and your walkbehind won't start and you want to take it apart and maybe rebuild the carb. make sure the gas is on.
  8. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

This one pops In my mind...never adjust your shop door opener springs...with your remote In your top pocket.
    I was once doing this with 2 1/2" round bars standing on the top step of the ladder...and I yes...hit the remote in my pocket some how...and the door started to open...weel the bars bent and went for a fling ,the spring un sprung...and I went for a fly on the shop floor...landed on my feet...and said something like holy catfish ...It was close .
  9. Lawntime Mowers

Lawntime Mowers LawnSite Member
    from KC MO

Stop taking customers mid summer that say "My last Lawn Service just stopped showing up....I don't know why?":dizzy:
    I'm get so tired of taking these customer. I get 3-4 of these mid-summer and they almost always turn out to be Pita's, slow or no pay.
    Fact is it's a 50/50 gamble who's at fault and I'm done gambling unless I get funds up-front or I talk to the last LCO myself.

Also stop using the wrong damn mix in my stihl chainsaw. Stop working on stihl product just because they won't run you dumb azz...you used the wrong mix again....man I suck!:hammerhead:
  10. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Double check that you've actually engaged the blades on the mower. Don't know how many times i've circled a property with multiple passes before realizing the blades are'nt on.