I'm no grinch, but......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Nov 26, 2003.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

How ya doing everyone?
    Just curious if anyone has ever had to charge extra to work around christmas decorations???????? I'm no grinch, but I have about 2 weeks of lawn service left and those damn inflateable santa's are driving me nuts. I've got wires running across lawns, through beds etc.. Smaller ones I move, but most of these things are tremendous, and I don't want to break them,$$$$$$$$!!
    On the other end of the spectrum......this is my daughter's first christmas, and of course being a goofy dad, i bought a santa suit. Ever cut grass in one of these things???? My christmas tips are good, but I wonder.............

Adam FGA

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Adam, add an upcharge for having to move cords, decorations, etc. I'd say anywhere from 15-30% of the lawn price.Your time IS money.payup

3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not charge more. I work around what ever stupid things are in the lawn. If they happen to fall over or the cords are moved, I just leave them and let the homeowner put it back. I will only move something out of the way if there is a chance I will break it.

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Adam-Dressing in your santa suit would definitely be a sight riding around customer's properties on a Z!!!HoHoHo..Away we mow!!!!!!P.S.-I'm a goofy dad , too. Once you have kids, you are never normal again.:dizzy: :laugh: :D

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

fga, yes you are.;)
    Last thing you mention is the seasonal tips being good. Look at it as lawn decoration moving money.
    Better yet, when servicing the lawn, stay as far away from any temp decoration, it'll really ruin your day to get tangle in one.

Some times, there's a little extra work, enjoy yourself and your work, BE HAPPY.:D

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

7. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the account.

Some are good customers and very profitable low maintenance accounts.

Others are: "time is money" accounts. These may be properties where there always seems to be an issue. They are simply lower profit.

You know your accounts. I try to find a balance between a stringent time policy & having outdoor fun while I work. Be adaptable, it's your business. Dont allow your time, energy and assetts to be abused, but be flexible and allow for customer service.

8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks alot guys.
    Goofy Dad saying Happy Thanksgiving !!!!!!!!!

Adam FGA

9. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I would just work around them.If you have a customer that is not worth keeping then charge a little extra.