I'm no rookie, but...........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, May 16, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Can someone describe with a little bit of detail, the procedure of sharpening lawn blades? The local shop charges $8 dollars to sharpen, so I usaully just by a new one for $10. I tried doing it my self once or twice, and it wasn't balanced correctly......... wound up breaking the drum on top of the crank on my lawnboy.
    Basically, what do you use to sharpen it, procedure for sharpening, and procedure for balencing it perfect. Also good info for newbies!

2. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Id like to know as well, lol ..

I'm using a bench grinder and i'm just angling the blade so far!

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Invest in a good blade grinder, and a balancer. There are several brands on the market RBG, Fireball, Lesco, Magna, etc. ;)

4. fga

that's what i did... before i broke the mower:eek:
    I used the screwdriver balence test, but my hand shake too much, and it looked good to me :D

5. alpine692003

lol ..

I was looking at the MAGNA MATIC 9000 series blade sharpener.

I was going through their www site and it seems like all I have to do to sharpen the blade is just put the blade in there and it does it by itself?

Unlike the bench grinder I ahve to move it, angle it! blah blah

6. alpine692003

- how did you break the mower with the blade being unbalanced not correctly sharpened?

:confused: :confused:

7. fga

gotta link?

I saw somewhere a jig for a drill gun. Holds it at the angle,all you do is slide b & F and then balence.

8. fga

On a 21" lawnboy, if the blade isn't balence properly, you wobble the shaft, causing all types of trouble. there is a small metal drum that bolts to the top of the motor, then the pull start bolts to that. When you pull on the pull start, the teeth come and grab the drum. The wobbling actually broke the drum. I've also heard of breaking a seal on the motor.
    I guess on a wb, it can be too good for the pulleys either.

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Perfectly Sharpened & Balanced Lawnboy Gator Blade Courtesy of Mag 8000 w/Mag 1000 Balancer...

balanced.jpg

10. fga

Whoa, how does that thing work?