i'm not paying, it didn't need to be cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 25, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

anyone ever get that, in the summertime? they allow you to cut the grass, but when it's time to pay the bill, they don't want to, cus it "didn't need " cutting. a couple weeks ago, i was at a property mowing, i get done, and the lady asked to see me. we went in the kitchen. she pulls out the bill from september, which was for 3 cuts. she says, "please explain this bill to me. i have no sprinkler system, my lawn did not need to be cut, and yet i recieved a bill????" man my heart started pounding like a drum. i asked her who she talked to when she called to request a skipped cut? she said she didn't call, but "you have eyes, don't you?? can't you see it didn't need cutting?" i personally don't apreciate being spoken to like this from a client. i said, "well, your contract expires at the end of october, if u don't want us next year, that's fine, but....i committed a weekly service to you, and you committed the fee. i provided the service, and i'd like to be paid, NOW, being that the payment is overdue." she refused, saying that i had "nerve" asking her to pay for something that she didn't need. i sat down at the table, and asked, "what's for dinner? cus i aint leaving till i get paid." she calls her son downstairs, all 122 lbs of him, and asks him what he thought on the issue. i give him a 'i'll club you like a baby seal' look, and he says, "well mom, if you didn't ask him not to come, how is he supposed to know?" then he looks at me and says, "maybe next year, we can do every other week?" i said, "nope, can't help ya, but i need to be paid please, i have alot to do today." it took about 25 minutes, and i got my dough, and......sold her a fall leaf cleanup too. anyone else ever have them not want to pay, cus "it didn't need cutting?"
  2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope.. part of my sales pitch is if it doesnt need to be cut im not going to cut it. I found a lot of my customers respect this and it has actually helped to get me work.
  3. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Some lawns I decide if it needs it or not and they respect my judgement and others i've arranged for them to call me if they want me to skip otherwise I will mow. It's best to have this decided as soon as you get a new customer.
  4. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, let them know you skip if they don't need it up front. This gives you more flexibility in your schedule. It also allow you to go on vacation during the slow time of the year. Get caught up and take a few days off before they really need it again.

I normally do residentials late in the week, but for big weekends I take off late in the week and do those the following Tue-Wed "to save the customers money".

They like it, they tell their neighbors, and gives me flexibility for vacations for more profitable jobs as they come along.

Mowing only covers the expenses, everything else is profit.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Little Buddy

Are you using a Beetle Spin or a Mr Champ, Here??? I know most time you are Jigging a Live Shrimp.
  6. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

I'm trying to do the math in my head with all your past posts, so after her fall clean up do you have any customers left?

Again, notice I didn't call you a moron!

Did you at least get a sandwich to go?
  7. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

depends on the customer on how long i have had them and if it is in the middle of the route,

in oklahoma skipping is part of the beast- 100+ heat plus no rain for weeks in some months - but they can call that is called - "COMMON COURTESY"

But, i am getting to the point: "If I drive there then I mow it no matter what"

they can call , frankly I wasted my time driving there plus w/ an employee plus the gas to get there. It is getting mowed.
  8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I do get this periodically, but its usually when I pull up to mow. Many dont bother to call me and request to be skipped, the just figure they will "tell me when I arrive". This will be reworked for next year.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, I can honestly say I've never had anyone refuse to pay for that or any other reason.
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I think that it should be the customers responsibility
    to contact their lawn service and cancel if they don't need a cut.at least 3 days notice.
    This can be avoided if you don't contract by the cut but by the year.