i'm offering $10 first mowings

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by grass disaster, Mar 3, 2012.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

ok so i lost some of my good elderly accounts due to them moving to "homes"

i need something to get my foot in the door, to stand out from my competition.

i feel once i can them them to contact me i can make about 75% of my sales.

offering $10 first mowings to residential customers i think is the ticket. if nothing else it will draw some attention and hopefully steer them to my we site.

thinking of running a add saying

1 $10 mowing for new customers
    call xxx
    or visit my web site
    *please mention $10 mowing when contacting.

then when they go to my web site in place of my "quick quote" icon i could put... Get your free quote here, sign up for a $10 mowing service.

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Thats insne

3. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

That doesn't get you long term customers.

Why not offer them 20% off there first month if they sign a monthly contract?

$10 first cut you will just get people who are going on vacation, just want a cheap cut, etc...

then they will want the next cut for cheap.

You also are giving the same discount to a customer with a 250 sq/ft long as someone with a 2000 sq/ft long.

Rethink this business strategy

4. grasscutter24

grasscutter24 LawnSite Member

Never give your service away like that for free. What are you going to do when one of your customers asks you about the $10 special and they want one cut for that price?

5. grass disaster

i dont do contracts for residential. no one has ever not paid me. if they want to cancel service i dont make them give me 30 days.

if they want it cut while on vacation thats great. they will know who to call and trust once they need something else.

i dont feel the 20% off thing works...what is is 20% off a millon? 20% off a $1?

6. grass disaster

ok. i've doubled my price. :)

$20 is a much better starting point.

yes some restrictions naturally apply. this is for standard residential yards only.

7. f50lvr2

f50lvr2 LawnSite Senior Member

I see you're thinking in this and jumping to $20 is a much better idea. But, like others have said, without a contract, you'll probably have a lot of people just do the $20 cut and drop after that.

It is a good way to get your foot in the door, but it probably won't be a door you want to walk through.

8. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Cheap people like coupons.

9. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

Have you lost your mind ??????????????????

10. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Just because they are on monthly doesn't mean you need to make them give you 30 days to drop you.

And the 20% does work. $20 doesn't.

$20 means you potentially lose money of varrying amounts. 20% means you only lose your profit margin.

And 20% off a million is a good thing. 20% off a dollar is also a good thing.

$20 off a million is not a good deal. $20 off a dollar means you lose money.

Either you're running a business. Or you're just cutting grass. Up to you.

With this mentality you're just cutting grass and won't make it in this tough industry.