1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"I'm on a Budget"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gene $immons, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Call on voice mail today:

"Hello, I've been calling all around trying to get some estimates for lawn care. I'm on a budget, so I need good prices".

"I want to have my lawn sprayed, do you offer a one time deal? most of the places I have called don't offer one time spraying, but since I'm on a budget, I figure if you can spray it the first time for me, I can take over from there".

"Next, I need the lawn mowed real short. I do my own mowing in the summer, I just dont like doing the first cut. How much do you charge for mowing"?

"I also want to install some shrubs around my house over an 18 month time frame. Is there a way that you can buy the plants wholesale, and drop them off at my house for me to plant myself? "Could you also come by and look at my backyard and tell me what to plant? Do you charge for a design even if I do the work myself?

"Hope to hear from you soon, we want to get started this weekend if possible."

Ahhhh dont yoy love spring callers?
  2. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thats awesome! This is my first spring in the business. Is this what I should expect to hear?! Obfuscate (To make so confused or opaque as to be difficult to perceive or understand) the answer. Car dealers do it to us and we still buy cars.
  3. I see you have spotted your first gray haired cheep-cheep of the season. More telling about the arrival of spring than a robin.
  4. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

You can't be serious!

You know where to tell that customer to go.:blob2:
  5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe since she is on a budget, you can just do it all for her for free. People like this amaze me.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would still try to sell her some services, BUT give her literature on properly lawn maintenance, fertilization, aeration, etc.

Tell her that you will price it out, but before you give her the price you want her to read over the stuff first.

It could change her mind
  7. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I wonder if Chemlawn gets whacked out calls like this?

Yesterday, someone was posting about the customer who asked them to remove a rotting deer carcass from their lawn.

Geez. This industry needs an Public Relations overhaul.

DFW Area Landscaper
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if someone calls me to remove a dead deer, I would charge them so much. That is like a slap in the face.
  9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I'd at least give return the call, thank them for there interest but explain that you will not be able to help them.
  10. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I gave a fert. quote at a roughly $1 mil lake front property today. 2 boat docks set up for 3 boats. Gave a breakdown for a 5 application plan. Owner showed up before I left. I explained the plan to him. "Could I just do the first app with the pre-emerg? He had alot of dandelions last year, but he thinks there is alot of stuff in there (apps.) that he doesn't need."

Economy must be bad when the MILLIONAIRES are getting CHEAP!