I'M Only Happy When It Rains

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawrence stone, Mar 28, 2000.

1. This has got to be the earliest in the season<br>that I have ever mowed turf. My market is<br>in zone 6 (valley 500 ft elevation) and zone 5 &quot;up the mountain&quot; (1000-2000 ft.).

2. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

2000 has got to be better than 1999 on rainfall. Here in So_Ohio we are already ahead of last year. Funny thing though, 1999 was a great year for us in spite of a mega drought. For one thing we didn't have any rain days in the spring so production was great through June . Then in July, August September I used the principal of cutting grass whether it needed it or not. We missed about 3 weeks worth of cutting . In the fall, the grass came back with a vengence. It really doesn't take much rain to impress grass sometimes. We cut real steady untill 1st week of December. During the 3 weeks we were down on grass, we picked up some landscape jobs and took a small vacation. I hope 2000 is atleast that terrible.

3. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

I was reading some PA studies and they say that we are already a little dry this year. Not good. I've also heard things about how El nino/nina are still kicking around and that we will have a drought like last year. I always just say &quot;believe it when I see it&quot; and then just deal with it.

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yep this has been an early start for me too. Been cutting since march 10th. Would have started earlier if it hadnt been so dry. I am trying to make the best of it before the drought sets in again like they say.

5. Retro67

Retro67 Banned

This is where monthly contracts come in handy. I have nearly zero resistance to monthly pricing, either. They just ask how often I mow and I let them know I will be there weekly unless the grass hasn't grown at all. <p>Last year, coincidentally, I missed maybe 3 mowings and some guys here didn't mow for a month sometimes. I do admit there was a cut or two where I really questioned whether I should be mowing. Now I will be guided by when the lawn needs mowing.<p>This might not work for you, but it has allowed me to sleep at night. Also, it is nice to know my customers were serious enough to contract with me. I have been told our professionalism has sold us over the competition. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want. Do your kids deserve to eat during a drought??? If you feel guilty, reduce the monthly price by 25%. <p>John<p>

6. crabber

crabber LawnSite Member

It won't stop raining here in Maryland. I wish we could bottle this up for August.<br>Almost 10 inches this month. Still cut earlier than ever.

7. slagerlawncare

slagerlawncare LawnSite Member

with a few warm nights here in da north land we'll be mowing too...about 3 weeks ahead of schedule i figure..then again i live in wi. and it could snow any day..like it did this morning....lightly.<br>there's a saying up here..&quot;stick around a few minutes the weather will change&quot;<br>