I'm overbooked, do I continue to mow while it rains?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnboy85, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Lawnboy85

Lawnboy85 LawnSite Member
    from South

This is my 6th year in the mowing business, I'm 21 years old, and I have 50+ yards and one large cemetery. I've gained over 10 yards in the last 2 weeks. There's my background, now here's my situation: I live in Texas, and around here, the weather is very unpredictable. It's raining today (Thursday) and I am already overbooked for the next couple of days. If I let some of these yards go, which are already getting tall, I will be even further behind. I've seen other commercial mowing businesses going out and mowing, even if it is raining. I realize they have a lot more yards and can definitely not afford to get behind, but neither can I. Do any of you commercial guys continue to mow, even if it is wet?

Thanks for the help,

Blake Lohse
    Lohse's Lawn Service
  2. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

i will mow as long as im not leaving ruts across the yard.or if its just flat pouring rain i stay home. light rain , wet grass, no problem.
  3. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the situation. A heavy rain no. If the ground is not soaking wet where you will leave ruts and just a light to moderate rain I say yes. Try to do whatever I can to get back on a schedule.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Can you start earlier / work later??

I'm overbooked as well when it rains, but I'm straight commercial.

I've got 4 car dealers, as well as other restaurants I can do before the sun comes up, or after it goes down because of the parking lot lights.

If that's not an option, then mow in the rain, as long as it's not creating more of a hassle than leaving it.

Hassles might be having to double / triple cut, fix ruts, clean off driveways / sidewalks other areas that grass would stick to.

If you can mow, and get things done faster, even with these hassles, than mow. If it's going to be easier to mow after the rain stops, then wait.

Biggest problem with waiting is, if it DOESN'T stop raining, now you've got 3-4 extra days growth to get things done.

Personally, I'll stop if I can. If I can't then I mow until a downpour, or if there's lightning in the area.
  5. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

if you dont have a raincoat put a trashbag on yourself and roll wit it!!! like the other guys said.... as long as you dont rut up yards you're good....
  6. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Watch out if its a real heavy rainy spring you could loose some of your hard fought accounts to get by not being able to service them.And thats just as bad as poor work.

Suggestion yes some grass/yards if conditions are right you can mow in the rain or wet grass. But that is a general statement. Yo will need to work hard on keeping the bottom of the decks clean and free of build up.Try some Slip plate. Lots of RMPS and luck

Also I have found watch the weather channel closely so you can mow be for a rain even if you have to get lights on your equipment and where possible mow at night or at least after dark.

50 yard is a far amount of work for one guy but when you say a large cemetery, Look out. I feel you really need to asses if you have the very best equipment for each job. And hope to cut some hours out of your work day to get keep up with your work. You may think your using the right stuff but then again you need to really look and some faster ways to get the work you have done with less hours.
  7. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow in the rain. cull the herd.
  8. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

I have the same thing going on right now...I had to stop today due to the rain. Dont get me wrong I would rather have the rain any day of the week...rather then the hot dry days of summer for a whole year. What Im doing to stay even is work all day long...so far its helping. Good luck to you...where in texas are you ???
  9. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

(you Have 50+ Yards)
    (in Your 6th Year Of Biz)
    And Your Just Coming Across This Situation?
  10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If it's a rain shower or lite rain than you should be ok. We try and not go out if it's to wet because it makes more of a mess then anything.