I'm purchasing a 48' Exmark Walkbehind..

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Dominicano, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Dominicano

Dominicano LawnSite Member

I'm purchasing a 48' Exmark walk-behind from an old guys that fixes lawn mowers and resales them. He want $500 for it (he is in the process of moving and needs some cash). Since am a newbie, am not sure what to look for as far as quality goes. I've seen it several times (looks good) and its starts right up when cranked. Everything seems good but am not sure if am missing something..??

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

There are a few threads going in the Equipment section concerning your situation. Check there...some areas to examine are structural/weld integrity, spindle bearing integrity, etc...

3. Dominicano

Thanks Valk, I'll check it out..

4. zima

zima LawnSite Member

hey dominicano what areas of town are you planing to do work,nice to see someone from marietta:waving:

5. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I take it this mower is a Metro with belt drive? b/c the price is so low.

6. Dominicano

Hey Zima, I mainly want to concentrate in the West Cobb area. But since I'm starting off, I really don't want to limit my self to other areas and opportunities. In what area of town you do work? :waving:

7. Dominicano

Hey Zima, I mainly want to concentrate in the West Cobb area. But since I'm starting off, I really don't want to limit my self to other areas and opportunities. In what area of town you do work?

8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

That Is A Very Good Price.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

What's the model and serial number?

And does it look painted?

Well you asked what you should check heheh
    Always get model and serial number, if you do nothing else get that, write it down someplace then I have something I can use to determine what year it was made and so on.

Those two numbers are usually on a little 2x4 or so aluminum plate that's riveted or stamped onto the deck, usually down towards where the engine is on that platform section (so it's not on the blade deck, not for commercial Wb's). If you're not sure what to write down when you do find it, just write it all down. And if you don't see that tag (after you know where it should be) like if it's missing, that generally means buyer beware.

Now that won't save you all the headaches, but it's a good start.
    Besides, you'll also need it anytime your mower needs parts.

10. zima

zima LawnSite Member

i do most of my work in east cobb, but i have some accts in woodstock and canton only have 30 residential that i do maintenance and 2 days i do irrigation repair work,clean ups,landscape up grades,but with this water band we have,there won't be no irrigation repairs this year so i'm going to try to get 20 more customers to fill 2 days,doing good so far i got 4 with word of mouth so i hope 4k flyers will get me 16 more; hope you do ok to start it's hard but do good work and you will get there,this site help me a lot when i was starting out,all the people here are great, we will help you if you want to go for it.