i'm raising your price...ok, i won't

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 20, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a guy i know tried to raise this one customer from $27 to $30 a week. she said, "you raise my price, i cancel." he said, "ok then, i'll keep it at $27." of course i gave him hell when he told me. his mentality is " a bird in the hand....." i told him he's nuts, and i'd cancel her period. any thoughts on this? would you walk for the 3 bucks? would you stay?
  2. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I walked on a 3 year customer for $3 a couple weeks ago. He was already too low to begin with, and he freaked when I told him I was charging $3 more. I told him that I hoped he could find someone as reliable as I was and did as nice a job for the last 3 years, and then said goodbye.
  3. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

it would depend on how easy it would be to replace that customer for another at $3 more.
  4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd walk, because I would have made that decision ahead of time.
    I'd say, "OK, Bye."
    What do they say at the gas station when you tell them how much you are willing to pay? or the insurance company, or the grocery store?

Bye-Bye! :waving:
  5. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

Trust me guys ,,,,theys have some lowballer will cut there grass lower then you were charging the customer ...If you ask me .,.,you only hurting your self walkin just for 3 buck !!
  6. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

If you need to raise the price $3 to draw a profit due to economic conditions, you have to walk. If you cant turn a decent without it, you must walk.
  7. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I personally wouldn't take a $108 a month pay cut just because the guy wouldn't give me a extra $12 a month. That $27 yard where I am located shouldn't take more than 12-15 mins, so if he's not happy with $100 an hour then I'm sure there is 100 other cutters that would be tickled to pick up the yard. Hell $108 thats a tank and a half of diesel! :p
  8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

My price is my price and that goes for increases too.

No sign of weakness will be shown to customers. blood in the water and all that.

Fired 4 so far this year, looking for an excuse on another. Been replaced with 10-12 (can't remember) all at higher prices.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

what will you do next year, and next year, and the next? What if he wants you to just chop this one little branch? or take this, or do that? it wont take long...................
  10. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Would you come a cut my lawn??? and let me decide how much to pay you??? I would drop them like a hot potato....