1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i'm rolling the dice on red hawk

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 2, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i ordered the 48" belt drive with the 18hp kohler. price= $2099. will i be sorry? this mower will be on about 20 properties a week, averaging 4000 sq ft. what's the deal on kohler? any input?
  2. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

It seems like the mower should blast through lawns with the 18hp right. Seems like there usually around 14.
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We run Kohlers and we don't have any problems. They are very good engines.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

18 hp on a 48" deck is great bobby. Kohler engines used to have a reputation for head gasket problems, but they seem to have solved that. Good luck with the new mower too btw...
  5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck BG. I love the new 48 bobcats I purchased last year. We both know that those machines are probably another $800, but you can let us know if you got a good deal or if my great grandmothers saying "Cheap is dear" rings true.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

turfdude, i would have went for the extra $800-$1000, but, you can only get them with a 15 hp. part of my decision was the larger engine
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I think you will be ok Bobby, Not sure it will hold up say 6-10 years from now, but you will have made enuff off it to buy another by then. And who knows it may be bullet proof with just routine maintenece. I think the main concern will be if the dealer keeps parts if/when you have a breakdown
  8. bigshoe

bigshoe LawnSite Member

Bobby,I looked at those at the annual power show they have here Look decently built. And I defiantly think the 18 horse will do just fine. I herd that they will be putting out a hydro soon cant remember the price but it was good. Let us know who it works out for you.
  9. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

These mowers are marketed under 4 brand names. all are the same machine. See www.mowersulky.com/Bradley_Mowers.htm The brands are Bradley, Winston Pro,Red hawk, Grass Viper. Gear boxs and trannys are american. The rest is chinese.
  10. Lawnkeeper

Lawnkeeper LawnSite Member
    from NJ

where are you going to get parts from? Just curious.