1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm screwed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Tom-N-Texas, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

A couple weeks ago I did weed spray application on 2 yards (next door neighbors) and I did not properly clean out my spray tank first. Unfortunately the time before I had used Round-Up in the container! YIKES!!!

Now I've got 12-15 big, sweeping dead spots in both yards! What's worse is they're both great customers in a very nice neighborhood. I'm dead meat. Any suggestions?

(Be warned -- always clean out your sprayer!)
  2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Ya, find a new profession. Why wouldn't you, at the bare minimum, rinse out your sprayer and hoses before you started spraying anything again?
  3. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

I would just prep the dead areas and lay down some sod, at your expense. You do not want this going arround how you killed a customers lawn. Next time, wash out your sprayer as soon as you are done. Do not let it dry! When I spray atrazine products on my farm, it usually takes 1.5-2 hours to wash it out. It needs to be washed 3 times or more.
  4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

If you just treated it and it's bermuda, hit it with nitrogen. It is probably too late but you can try it.

We have been experimenting with glyphoshpate to eradicate dallisgrass in bermuda. We treat the lawn and leave a note on the door explaining to the customer that they have dallisgrass and it is the only weed that won't be eradicated by our normal six app program.

If they call us to ask about their options with dallisgrass, we tell them we can pull it at our normal hourly rates, which is very expensive...several hundred and up normally. Then I tell them we could spray it with grass killer. It will leave ugly dead spots in the lawn that will eventually fill back in.

Anyway, we apply the nitrogen and then about a week later we appy the glyphposphate. What I'm noticing is that we are not getting 100% kill on the bermuda or on the dallisgrass. We will have to make some followup applications to completely eradicate the dallisgrass.

If you don't get 100% kill from the roundup hit it with nitrogen every four weeks at a very heavy rate. Being this close to the solstice, it can fill back in pretty fast.

DFW Area Landscaper
  5. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

After make the repair, buy another sprayer and make sure they are labeled.
  6. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

Been there before, but light glysophate will work its way out quick. Try the nitrogen like the other posts said. Its not like you were spraying at 2% or something, so it might work out. Good luck.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How hot has it been down there? The dead spots COULD easily be burn from your selective mix, not the glyphosate.There are a FEW lawns up around here like that. One is a Scotts, and one is a Lawn Doctor. I even have some slight tire tracks in one because of improper watering. When I did this lawn, I should've had it dilluted way down, but I was still running just under 2 oz. per M. If this is the case, you will have to wait a couple of weeks before you can reseed (I would suggest slitseeding).
  8. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

It's pretty hot here (90s) but I've never had burn spots like this. I've had some mild discoloration from strong MSMA treatments but these spots are dead.

I think I'm going to have to re-sod the bad areas. It looks pretty bad. Learned an expensive lessen.
  9. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

why not reseed ?
  10. lucky4511

lucky4511 LawnSite Member

i would not want reseeding if it were my lawn...i would want if fixed now!