I'm selling the business and need a non-compete contract

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by walker-talker, May 20, 2012.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I'm going back to college and will be selling my business, more importantly my accounts. I have several interested buyers and they are asking to see the properties...as well as they should. Does anybody have a non-compete contract they would share? What do you recommend? I'm tight and would like to avoid a lawyer, but if that is what I must do, then I will do it. Anybody have any recommendations? I searched this website up and down and couldn't find anything.

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

why do you need a non-compete if you are going back to school?

3. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

so that the person seeing his customers properties wont go to them and underbid him knowing exactly who to talk to

search google, not lawnsite.

4. Duekster

from DFW, TX

That would be a no raid contract if not mistaken.

5. birddseedd

+1 <------------ whatever this is supposed to mean

6. Garlydog

Garlydog LawnSite Member

I would think the buyer would want to provide their own non-compete contract. I know I would if I were buying a business. Maybe just offer to sign the buyer's non-compete contract if they wish to provide one.

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

IMHO, Garly is right, the buyer would write the Noncompete, the seller a non-disclosure, no raid contract. Sad world we have come too.

8. birddseedd

OP was just using the wrong term. in red is more what he's wanting. just google those terms alogn with "example" and youll get your start.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

You are correct...I used the wrong term and yes, I will search google...thanks.

10. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Does legal zoom have one? I use a lawyer for my forms but this might be a good route for you.

Basically, I am allowing you to look at my client list and financial, you will not solicit my clients or any successor company for a period of 2 years. If you do, my company or my successor may have damages of an unmeasurable amount and we will own you if you try it. You agree that we will own you and not even put up a fight, and just give up all that you own and all your family owns and will ever own. :laugh: