1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm sick of striping.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dashunde, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

So using the mudflap method I've got my wb striping to the point of absurd, but it's causing some problems..

Now I'm stuck having to mow in the same patterns, and at 3.5" the turf is laying down too much and the cut quality is turning crappy because of it.
    Also, I'm beginning to think that striping (laying the turf over) is simply hard on it and does not help promote thick(er) blade growth, or anything else good for that matter.

Two patterns alternated weekly is not enough, but 3 or 4 patterns alternated looks dizzying.

And on top of all of that... paying extra attention to strips is slower and just a nuisance.
    On the other side of that, I had a cust tell me the other day that her friends all love the look of her yard and asked how I do it.
    Its a toss-up there... happy cust, or happy yard? I need to find a balance.

So... I've figured out HOW to stripe, now I need to figure out how to manage them and I'm looking for advise.
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking the same thing the last month or so. Sometimes, I just cut the lawn. Most of my customers like it but I don't think they really care.
    If they start requesting it, maybe it would be time for a price increase.
    Sorta like extras on a new car!
    The more elaborate, the more it costs. It's only fair I think.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you can and will kill a lawn, it is hard on the turf, it is a purely cosmetic effect.

And overall a big waste of time, but some do notice, just be glad so far the feedback's been positive.
    Well if you're sick of doing it, stop.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I would go with the happy yard.
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone done a poll to find out if striping is for the customer or more for the LCO. I lean toward it being more for the LCO. Probably none of my customers know what a stripe is. Most want a low putting green carpet look (2.5"-3") that is hard on the grass but you might as well talk to a brick as to tell them that.
  6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Well I suppose it would cause problems if your running in the same grooves every other week etc. Or you flap is rough on the grass. What are your thoughts when you watch a baseball game or Nascar and see the infield stripes. They like to get crazy with it. I enjoy doing it without going overboard. I try to run a different angle each week so my wheels are not running in the same tracks. I use the roller which is easier on the turf too. But really why not take off the striper for a while and see if any onyone else misses them?
  7. MJB

from Wa

Do you have any pictures of how it is damaging the grass. Maybe you flap needs to be raised up......
  8. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Its not really damaging the turf directly, it just works too good and restricts my patterns, causing me to run the same tracks every other week... which really mashes down the turf to the point that it wont lift anymore in the tire tracks.
    I'm specifically talking about Kentucky Blue with its thin blades, and none of these lawns are growing very thick and lush to begin with.

I've kinda striped myself into a corner with a few of these Kentucky accounts, whereas I cant really mow in any other direction because it looks like crap if I do.

I need to rake the fallen turf back up somehow, then cut it in the reverse pattern to negate the old stripes, then start from scratch using more patterns, a shorter cut, and less pressure on the flap.
  9. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I am lucky because I can do a lot of patterns and they fade after a month in our area. Maybe also I dont get ruts because I use a Walker and a Hustler Hydro WB, each weighs less than 1000 lbs. My properties look great, and it is quick to run a line down the middle after 2 passes around the property and just run em out. I can't imagine just running hodge podge, it is going to stripe anyway if it is a good mower and deck, but more like a race track. SHOW ME SOME PICS OF THAT, and tell me it looks great.
  10. MJB

from Wa

Are the lawns out there that are Kentucky bluegrass real dry ? If it gets to dry you'll break it when you bend it over, and it won't stand back up without a lot of watering and new growth. I cut a lot Kentucky and fescue mix but we get plenty of irrigation and don't worry about to dry unless the sprinkler system goes down during the heat. Are you leaving tire tracks too?