1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i'm so proud of him

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 11, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my trainee, in the next county called today. he uses the same billing system i do. he uses a due date , however, of the 10th, rather than the 1st. he has a new customer that did not pay her bill ontime. this is what he did- he called her at work, and asked her why her bill wasn't paid by the 10th (yesterday) . she said she was busy, and couldn't talk. he scratched her off the schedule for this week. no dough, no mow. he reported in to me with this info at approximately 11:15 am, eastern standard time. i simply replied, "well done kid, you, have made me proud!" here's to a lawnboy with gonads :drinkup: now...there are two...
  2. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

made my day
  3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

gives me a warm fuzzy feeling....

oh wait, that's the scotch.:drinkup:
  4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Two...Gonads or two guys with gonads?;) I think in my state, the law is you can't call a customer at thier workplace, which sucks because it's one fo the few places left where they usually can't screen thier calls.

Okay, so will he call her at home now?
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I would never call someone at work over a collections issue, it's rude.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

rude? i always thought not paying the guy who worked hard, on your property, was rude
  7. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

Good for him. I wouldn't have called her at work unless we were behind further, but I won't let people get me more than a month out on payment (not 30 days late, but 30 days worth of service) before I discontinue mowing.

Mr or Mrs X, I won't be able to continue service with you until we are current on payment. I'm sure you understand with the cost of insurance, fuel, etc...
    Can I stop by this evening and collect a check?
  8. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

You taught the kid wrong Bobby Boy...You call her at home first...and ask why she has not paid
    I,m surprized that you don,t know by now that kindness can be your greatest weapon
    That one call could have goten that Lady customer of his fired from her job
  9. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

you mean, no nads. it takes nothing to cross them off your list, you need nads to get paid!!!
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i prefer the kinder approche too. if they get more than a month behind -i send them another bill with a self addresed and even stamped envelope to return their payment in. it has worked every time. i am shure bobby would not approve of this collection method