I'm starting to HATE my Toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by whoopassonthebluegrass, Jun 8, 2008.

1. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm solo and rely on my 36" T-Bar for all my mowing. It's almost two years old, handling 60 accts per week, but is just falling to pieces on me... I had to run home 3 friggin' times in the past 24 hours for repairs! I have my Lesco WB up on blocks like a redneck camaro, pulling parts to keep this P.O.S. running. I can't catch a break...

Here's a List-O-Crap I've had to do to my mower just in the past month:

*** New rear Tires (less than 1/3 season of use)
    *** New Transmission
    *** New Drive-Belt Pulleys
    *** New Tranny-Belt Pulley (last one actually stripped my deck)
    *** 6 tranny belts (b/c of bum tranny)
    *** 1 new blade belt
    *** SNAPPED ENTIRE DECK FREE AT CONNECTION TO REST OF CHASSIS - and had to weld the living crap out of it to put it back together. Stupid thing was like a 500# accordian!
    *** New sheaves on my rear left tire assembly! I can't believe that could even wear out, but they were down to a razor's edge! Couldn't get traction...
    *** Hammered baffling back into place underneath where it cracked as a result of one of the factory welds on the backside.

I hate this. I have to get a new WB nearly every stinking year... Think I'm getting a hydro Gravely with the Prosteer...

2. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

I have a 36" T-bar, but with about 5 accounts per week. Are you particularly rough on your equipment?

I think I would be especially upset if the deck broke free from the chassis. I assume that you're talking about where it bolts to the frame, on the side, near the engine, correct?

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

Yup. And it's not so much that I'm hard on it, so much as my accounts are. Here the rich people live up on the sides of the mountains, so TONS of hills and difficult landscaping. I certainly don't baby the gear, but I try to take care of it...

4. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

dang man i feel for you i had an edger that did the whole break everytime i use it thing to me and i finally got pissed one day and threw it all away easy fixes just got sick of doing it

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

The kick-me-while-I'm-down part of this is that it rained 3 days this week. So I needed today to go PERFECT to get all 23 lawns done...Um, yeah. THAT didn't happen...

6. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Time to invest in a new walkbehind it seems :usflag:.

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

I just have a hard time swallowing $4k a year, just in mowers, for a solo operation! It's ludicrous! :cry:

8. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

my toro w/b is 4 years old run 70+ accounts a week and the only thing ive had to replace was a bleade belt and the tensioner. the eyebolt on the tensioner broke when the belt snaped.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

Yeah. My brother-in-law, LawnTamer, has run his for 7 years and even bought my old one and still keeps it running. That's what kills me! I work in a hostile environment! My lawns are very anti-mower. If there's a design flaw on a machine, I'll find it...

10. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

My Toro 36 gear tbar is just over a year old and I do really like but... I'm not sure if it's my imagination but, the tranny seems sticky. Just today I noticed it, I would slap it forward into 3 or 4 and it wouldn't move, like it's not in gear, so I giggle then it goes. But just moving it back and forth today seemed a little bit stickey, like it would catch lightly on the gears as the lever passed over it. I actually looked to see if there was a grease zerk on the tranny LOL.

Might be my imagination but I've decided I better get a come-along in my truck just in case.