1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm Still Getting Calls From My Fliers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wil22, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Wil22

Wil22 LawnSite Member

I would like to know the rates for mowing lawns here in NC? I'm still getting calls from flyers I passed out months ago to mow my lawns.

I picked up a few good suggestions on offering my areating services here in NC. 60.00 for up to 5000 sf and 10.00 for each additional 1000 sf. The client is pretty imppressed when I pull out my measuring wheel.

What are the going rates for mowing lawns here in NC. Sometimes I hear your rates are too high. I think the best way would be to measure the property and then give my price.

How much should I charge per sf to mow the lawn?
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You're passing out flyers, you list in your profile 1 year exp, and you don't know how to price?

It will also depend WHERE in NC you are and there is only 1-2 weeks proabably left in the cutting season this year unless you are on the coast.

For just cutting service I never measure the lawn anymore as I have done so many that I know what i need to make on that lawn based on the time I know it will take me to cut it given the property conditions.
  3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

The problem with that is I can measure two lawns at exactly the same sf, but one can take twice as long as the other if there are slopes, obstacles, small gates, etc.
    I price by estimating how long or difficult a lawn is going to be. I do smaller lawns, and this is easier to do with these. The larger the lawn, the harder it is for me to estimate, but I don't target larger lawns, so it's not too much of an issue.

So if you are going to price by sf, don't do it by sf alone. Factor in the "degree of difficulty" as I like to call it.
  4. Wil22

Wil22 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. When setting up my profile it asked for how many years? I've only been doing this a few months about 6 months, and this board has been a tremendous help. I'll have to go back and update the profile.

I had a call and I think this property has a yard about 1/2 acre. When I go out I want to make sure if I it mow it I can make money.

In the past most lawns I just figure in some areas 30 minutes 30-35 dollars.

I have one yard that has several flower beds front and back and it takes me
    45 minutes. I'm charging 30.00 and it is done weekly. I've got to change this price as well. I only have a few more times to mow but I want to be set for the spring and anymore I get this year.

When your first starting out sometimes you do what you have to do to start the cash flow.
  5. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

This is your learning year. I went through that as well as this was my first year. I have a couple lawns that I inadvertantly bid too low on, but when you are starting out you don't know how long it's going to take on some jobs. Now I know...and have priced them accordingly for next season. I explained that to them (customers) as well when I presented them the price for next season and they understood and were fine with it. Gogetter is correct with what he says...don't charge by the sq. ft. as you may have a small yard with 25 trees to mow and trim around, or a ton of landscaping therefore doubling the time it may take to do a large lawn with very few obstacles. Try to gauge the time it'll take and charge accordingly.

6. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I'm charging 30 - 35 a yard. That's your basic 1/4 to 1/2 acre yard. In and out anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes. As they said you have to look at the obsticals that will take time to go around, trim, blow etc...My rates will be going up next year due to fuel cost. After some live and learn jobs you'll be able to just do a walk around the yard and come up with a price like that. I haven't understood the price per sq ft on mowing. Too time consumming.

GREEN ACRES L&L LawnSite Member

Pricing can be tough when you first start out. I'm in my third season and i'll tell you our first year when cut anything!! we went as cheap as $20.00. I can say this the pricing will come with time, please always estimate the yard on time and not sq. ft. that can get you in trouble if you advertise a amount based on sq. ft., I need to make a minimum of $50- $ 60 an hour to mow. also remember travel time in the estimate, you can always cut cheaper if you can group several house in a subdivision. I have 4 on 1 street and I cut all 4 yesterday by myself in less than 2 hours. They average about $30.00 each. I think all the guys are right about pricing, always look at time, because time = $. We are in charlotte nc and the average cut is still unknown to me. I know the larger companies have a lot of overhead so they need to charge more.

2- scag tiger cubs
    1- wright stander
    1 scag 36" w/b