1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm taking back my Lesco spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tocs93, Jun 1, 2005.

1. tocs93

tocs93 LawnSite Member

I have had enough with trying to figure out this spreader. I've tried everything and the thing still throws heavy to the right. I am now noticing a slight stripe on lawns that have poor soil after doing my second round. What is the deal with this spreader? I should have taken other people's advice and just bought an Anderson's spreader in the first place!
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL! When you use the spreader at it's best, there is no better. Do your border, then, go around counterclockwise, spreading until you are thowing the right edge into the center of you last tracks. If you do this, you will have the finest, even spread you've ever had. A Lesco spreader doesn't throw to the center. It throws more to a 11-3 o'clock pattern. Trust me on this. Try it, and see. You ask why Trugren and others go up and down with them? Because they don't know what they're doing. I was taught this by a golf course assistant superintendent.
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I've used a Lesco spreader's for 5 seasons now and never noticed a striping effect.
  4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I have a Lesco spreader as well and I notice no uneven throwing. I also generate amazing results and have never had a striping effect either...
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I always go up and back with my push lesco spreader and NEVER get stripes! I have striped with spiker and other off brands constantly. The key to Lesco spreaders is not so much the spreader but the product you put through it. If you are using low quality products that don't have uniform prill size in the bag or is powdery then ANY spreader is going to stripe it. Use Lesco fert or similar high quality product and you will do away with the stripes. I'll Bet dollars to donuts that your new andersons spreader will stripe too using the same product you have been using.

Yes, agreed that spreading "nascar style" round and round is the best fool proof method to gurantee no stripes, buuutttt, you can't always see your tire tracks doing that and not seeing where you are going is just about as frustrating as it gets when it comes to spreading!
  6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Runner was right on the money with the 11-3 deal on the lesco pattern, the new hps machines are the same way. Myself, i'm a parrallel pattern guy, when i make a return pass, left side to left side i stay in tighter by several feet. No streaks ever. The only other option i can recommend is to set your spreader on 1/2 rate and go over the lawn twice in 2 directions.
  7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Have a Lesco and love it. Never any striping. I think a lot has to do with the pattern (off to the right a bit) and the product you are using. Love seeing the homeowners using urea in a drop spreader. Now thats striping!!!
  8. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Eight years, six Lesco spreaders, 50,000 + applications using back and forth over-lap method an never a striped lawn. You most likely need to adjust your 3rd hole slide plate. Lesco used to have a video on spreader adjustments that would be helpful if it is still available. Your Lesco rep. can hopefully help you out with this problem.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a third Hole problem. As you stand in the pushing position that would be the hole to your left. There is a total shut off bar for it. Use you Lesco Guage to check that it is not bigger and that might be the problem. You may be able to adjust the shut off to make the hole smaller.

By placing pie pans on the ground you can measure the distribution of your spread.
  10. tocs93

tocs93 LawnSite Member

I tried measuring the product before but it is difficult to do with the Lesco spreader because it is actually throwing material behind the pans to the right that ends up on the pavement instead of the pans. I just don't understand why some people have problems with them and say they throw 11-3 like I noticed and some people say they are the best and have never had a problem. Whats up with that?