1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm taking my CDL test tomorrow

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by minimax, Nov 15, 2008.

1. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

I'm taking my CDL test tomorrow to get my class A CDL any last minute help or tips.I already took the written test. thanks

2. marthanmike1959

marthanmike1959 LawnSite Member

Concentrate on the pre-trip they don't miss a thing.In Tennessee i had two women give me mine in 1991 didn't know i thing about a truck so there they stood clip board in hand and made sure i called off every part i was looking at and what defect your looking for good luck
  3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Don't eat beans today my friend.
  4. Hollowellreid

Hollowellreid LawnSite Senior Member

The pre trip inspection is where you will have trouble. Comment on everything you see.

Are you getting the air brake endorsement?
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The pre trip is the big thing.
  6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck mini...

Not to take this off subject but why exactly is the pre trip such a big deal?
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The pre trip is a big deal because you have to show that you can say the truck is safe and ready for the road.

You can fail a CDL test if you don't get the pretrip right. You can also fail a test if you don't do the air brake adjustment/check etc properly.

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely pre-trip. Also make sure you read all road signs. My instructor asked what one said after we passed it.
  9. ARP

ARP LawnSite Bronze Member

Take your time during all the manuevers. You're not timed so it's not worth rushing it only to blow it. Also, pay attention to what the trooper says. They don't like it when you don't listen.

Don't let yourself get nervous (ya right- everyone's thinkin). If you find yourself getting flustered, stop and think. Nothing is too tricky and I'm sure you're more than prepared.

Finally, have fun! It's only a test and you can always take another one.

Good luck!
  10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

MiniMax.......pre-trip is important. Here are a few more questions or things that come up: how far from RR tracks are you suppose to stop? what was the height restriction on that overpass we just went under? can you shift gears through an intersection? can you shift gears going up or down a hill? what gear should you be in when we come down this hill we just went up? how many second interval are you suppose to check your mirrors? If you want more just ask........Pay special attention to your air brake test sequence. Everyone gets uptight, just take your time and be methodical. Oh yea, here's another one.......how do you adjust your brakes or slack adjusters? Show me......