I'm thinking about adding decorative curbing next year!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MudslinginFX4, Sep 30, 2004.

1. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking about adding decorative curbing next year as a new service in my business. I did a search on it and didn't find many things. Here is a link to the company I am looking at buying the equipment from: http://www.tygarmfg.com/home.asp . This isn't a real big service here in Raleigh, NC where I am from (actually most don't even offer it) but I do have a couple of questions about it that maybe some of you can answer. I would like to know some of the pro's and con's about this equipment and offering this service. How many people would I need to run a crew in order to make them full time at just doing curbing? It's going to cost me about $21,000 (which doesn't bother me that much) but is there a cheaper way to go and get all the premimum equipment needed to run this part of the business? I have done a lot of research on the Tygar Mfg. company and they seem to have very good comments on them. They even offer you a class to teach you how to work the equipment etc... what do you all think?

2. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

i KNOW a guy right here in my town selling out. HE said it was good business but that it was too easy for ppl to under cut him. He was charging approximately 4-6$ per foot. I think it was just him and one other guy.

3. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

I was in the business, actually have everything you need for sale right now. Great business, let me know if you are interested. If you want to buy new, I can tell you who to see that will treat you absolutely great!

4. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Ken50-
    Does that price range seem right? I know areas are different so i am curious as to what you are charging?

5. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

Those prices are real close to what I charged. You can make good money at that price. Send me a private message if you want more info, I would be glad to help.

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll save some bandwidth, and simply state that I don't care for curbing for various reasons. Basically I think it looks tacky. But that's not what you are asking, is it?:D If you want more of my comments, search around for them, they're here somewhere!

Personally, I wouldn't want my name associated with the stuff. But to each his own, I guess.

Dan

7. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys for all the info. Ken50 and Acute Cut I will probably be sending you both some messages soon for some more information. Thanks for all the input so far.

Dan, I agree with you, I don't really care for the looks of it so much myself, I like a more natural look using the bed edger. However, it's not what I like, it's what my customers and future customers like. I'm here to make money and do a good job and I really think it would do well in my area. I could care less about how it looks as long as it is done correctly in a professional manner, the customers are happy, and I make money!

Acute Cut likes this.