i'm thinking of starting my own business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Brian B, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

ok so i'm really worried that i will go out and get a mower, blower, weed eater, and other little things for next summer and i will have wasted my money because i won't get any accounts. does anybody know any sure fire ways to get some acccounts? right now i was going to print some flyers i have been designing in my free time and just go stick them in peoples doors hoping that some would call. do you think that this would work or not? here's what i was thinking of for a name... Brian's Lawn Care "A Cut Above the Rest" what do you think

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Stay with "A Cut Above" just drop --the rest--
    There is no "sure Fire" way , just start with fliers and see what the responce is.

3. fireguyva

fireguyva LawnSite Member

Don't get discouraged if you have limited calls. Once fliers are out go out again when grass is growing and see who isn't being taken care of. Get out of the truck and approach the home owner. Works very well for me!!

4. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Like everyone has stated, just keep at it, don't give up it will build. GL

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

we started with fliers and they worked pretty good we rely mostly now on word of mouth but we still do put out fliers just like the first year. take a gamble but dont go and blow a lot of money on expensive equipment start simple with some relativly cheap stuff and grow off of what you have

6. Keith's Lawn Service

Keith's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I spent $5600 to get into the business and made that back my first summer part time. I bought a New bobcat 48 and a shindawia string trimer and bought a used sears blower and a 91 f150. I used ramps to put the mower in the back of the truck for 1 season and bought a trailer the second I went and put flyers out in a couple areas of town and had magnets made for my truck. In a few weeks I had 20 accounts making $500/week. Make sure you get insurance... I shot a rock thru a car window already this season... This is the first full time season for me, Glad I quit my day job...

7. Joe2920

Joe2920 LawnSite Member

I just started this season and was also worried about not getting account.. I spent about $6000, Trailer, 34" Walk Behind, Push Mowers and some weed wacks and also some borrowed equipment... I have been placing and ad in my local paper it has a service section.. you just have to return call and be freindly... many of the customers I obtain were a result of someone elses poor customer service.. Good Luck.

Joe

8. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

First season here to 10 accounts another 10 lined up for next year. I can't drive yet so thats all I can really do.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I think the most important thing is to get out there.
    Let yourself be seen working and talk to everybody about what you are doing. Even if it means mowing some old peoples lawn for free once or twice, in an area where your sure to be seen by alot of people.
    Have your name and # on your truck and business cards ready in your pocket or truck.
    If someone stops to talk to you ..stop what your doing, give them your full attention and hand them more than one card, when doing so mention they can give the extra cards to anyone they know who may need your services.
    Even if you have no work..park in a highly visible area and eat lunch or something.
    Put your cards up on local bulletin boards at hardware stores, nurseries, and wherever someone can stop and take one. I tack about 8 cards together on a board so they can take one and there will still be some left.
    Talk to your friends, neighbors, relatives and get the word out that your doing this. Know what your doing and do a good job and do it completely. Smile your butt of and shake hands. Introduce yourself to people. If there is anything I know about this biz it's that you have to sell yourself 1st..then your work..then your business will flow. You have to relate to total strangers and treat people fairly and nicely always. You gotta be a people person.
    Those are just some of the ways out of many others that will help you get work.

10. Kingram10

Kingram10 LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

Hey Keith ,what does is cost for a pair of those Magnets?