"I'm Thirsty" The Boss Wins Again!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Team-Green L&L, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

How often are your guys taking off to the truck for water? No lies, we need water so often that it became a problem...

Problem solved: The Camelback seems to be the best product I've seen for this issue! I'll let you know how it is after a month of wear and tear though.

S3010025 50%.jpg

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Who gonna want to carry the extra weight of the water they need? Getting a drink when its hot is part of the job and allowing your employees to take the extra time will only benefit you in more productivity and fewer turn overs.

3. Team-Green L&L

The pack weighs .8 lbs empty and 4.2 lbs full. It carries 1.5 liters of water and feels virtually weightless, especially in the field. I used mine all day today and forgot I had it on when we stopped at KFC for lunch. That was a laugh:laugh:

The guys still get plenty of smoke breaks at the truck. If they took their smoke and drink breaks together it wouldn't have been an issue, but that wasn't the case. It was a PROBLEM...like stated in the post.

Relly though, the post title was a joke. No one was complaining yet, but everyone noticed the issue.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If they were getting plenty of smoke breaks during the day then their drink breaks should have coincided. If not it should have been made that way.

5. Team-Green L&L

Look, maybe I named this thread wrong? It is not so much of a problem to take breaks, but if you can minimize the "on site" breaks with a cheap piece of equipment, then why not?

On a 5 acre lot, which we have plenty, it takes every bit of 15 mins for a guy to go to the truck, get his bottle filled, bullcrap with a jogger, and get back to the project area. When doing installations, there isn't much room for a 1-2 man team because 1-2 guys are walking to the truck.

6. olderthandirt

from here

Empty its useless, so lets just say 3 lbs. all day. There's no way in hell I'm gonna carry around water like a camel or expect any employees to do so. If its hot enough that they could use a drink to keep going then by all means they can get some water and get back to work. Dragging around 3lbs all day does get tiring and will slow a person productivity down. Beside being made to act like a camel its is just wrong, there men/woman not animals. If you treat them like an animal you can expect the quality of an animal :dizzy:
    The law says you only need to give them lunch and 2 breaks, try it and see how long your employees stick around.

7. Team-Green L&L

You are obviously "old school" and set in your ways. This pack is popular in every extreme sport in America; from snowboarding to mountain climbing. The reason it is so popular for these people is because it provides hydration when water is not close. It does not restrict a mountain climber so what makes you think it would slow down a guy with a weed-eater?

Besides, no one is "forced" to wear one. It just makes sense...

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

9. olderthandirt

from here

Everything you listed is a voluntary sport not a job. Your company so do as you please but report back next yr and tell us how many volunteers enjoyed the experience of having to carry there water if they were thirsty. I have a $100 bill that says that no one will think "It just makes sense"

BTW-- eliminate this "On a 5 acre lot, which we have plenty, it takes every bit of 15 mins for a guy to go to the truck, get his bottle filled, bullcrap with a jogger, and get back to the project area."
    And no one would need to carry water

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

how does it work when using a backpack blower? does it get in the way?