I'm through lurking...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Beau Rivage, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Beau Rivage

Beau Rivage LawnSite Member

Hi guys,

I've been lurking on here for about a year and a half getting all the info I could before starting up my biz. Here's a quick run down...a year and a half ago my job got cut back to 30 hrs a week but I still got to keep my benifits. My wife had zero on her job but it payed great. (mine didn't) So essentially we live off of her check and my benifits (401k, medical and dental) Anyway, I work for the hospitol association here, and we just lost 1/3 of our income (an upper payment limit acct) and there's a big stink about where all the money went, (20 million over 4 years) as opposed to what the new company is doing it for.(1/10th of what we charged) After 4 years of working there I've been cut to 30 hours and I can already hear them whining come raise time. I've had it with corparate America...up to my freakin' eyeballs. Low pay for doing all the work while a bunch of anal women who've let power go to their heads running around insisting everything be done the hard way.:mad: So come spring I'm throwing in the towel. I'm 43 years old and all I've ever done was work for someone else. I don't want to find myself 60 one day and wondering...what if??? So last year after the hurricane I began my plan...quietly bought a 5x10 trailer to pull with my Tacoma...the wife lifted an eyebrow but that's about it. About a month or two later she comes home from work all giggly..."I've got insurance at my job now!" Then it was my turn to raise an eyebrow.:) I came right out with it right then and there...told her I had to know if I could make it on my own...Now she's an accountant and born under the sign of the chicken, but she caved in. (we've been married 9 years) So I did a lot more research on here...I kept reading over and over to start small...so that's what I'm doing...wish me luck.:drinkup:

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Well, you're already ahead of the game with an "in house" accountant.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

Well goodluck and congrats on the job change. A few tips I can give you is a 5X10 trailer will get small real fast. This is my first year and my 6X12 is already far too small lol.

Cheers
    Jeff

4. Beau Rivage

Yea, she's been an acct. her whole life and works for a firm in Jxn, so that's one expense I won't have to worry about. As for the trailer, it's already tight like you said but I've got an 04 Tacoma with an auto tranny but only a four banger so I thought the smallest I could get away with as a solo would be the best way to go. It's full already but I can use the bed if I have to. I'm still trying to figure out how to list it at the bottom of each post.:dizzy:

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Good for you, for wanting to take the leap. I did the same thing about 8 years ago. Now I can't imagine working for anyone but myself. The best of luck to you. You will do fine. There are alot of guys on here whom you can benifit greatly from as far as advise on equiptment and such. Use the search feature and don't be afraid to ask ANY questions about this business. We all had to start somewhere. I sure wish I had this site when I first started, it has helped me alot. Again, good luck.

6. Beau Rivage

Thanx, TJ. I've worked this summer doing it after my wage slave job and I've really enjoyed it. I've done a lot of reading here before joining so I hope not to bother everyone with a lot of noOb questions.:laugh: The compitition is extremely stiff here in the Jackson area but there's a lot to go around and the grass grows awfully well here.:cool2: It's mid October and I've only had one customer cut back to every other week. Thanx again for the encouragement because I'm naturally still a little bit nervous. I pass at least 4 or 5 rigs a day on my way to work and it only takes 20 minutes...A lot of guys are into this down here.

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

Good luck Beau, sounds like you've given this some thought, oh by the way, be sure and check to see if you have the correct genetic profile and are wired for success.:rolleyes:

8. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

I wish you the best of luck, Beau. Remember the bad times of working for someone else. That way you have a reason to keep working for yourself when the going gets tough.

9. Beau Rivage

Thanx Stumper, and don't get me into trouble on my third post:laugh:

10. Beau Rivage

No problem there...I already know in my mind, I'll never go back. :walking: