1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm upset and want retribution!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BryPaulD, Dec 2, 2004.

1. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I maintain these properties I live at. I winterised my Honda 21" and put it away for the winter. I'm home eating lunch today and I hear a mower running close by. I look out the window and see landlord mowing little lawn next door with my mower. He didn't bother to pick up sticks beforehand, so I hear a bunch of loud chopping noises (cause he's mulching logs) I heard him bog it down and stall it out like five different times because I had the deck set down almost as low as it goes for last cut, and he didn't raise it up to cut tall grass. Then I check and he didn't even fill the tank back up?? WTF :realmad:
  2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

First question is why is your landlord using "your" mower?
    do you have some sort of agreement, or did he even ask to use it? I would charge him for the damage/service to get that back in the shape you had it.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

oh that will work great, charge the landlord.
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If it was my mower he would DEFINATELY hear about it. I would charge him for a new blade and make him fill it back up with gas. Just because he's the landlord don't give him the right to abuse your expensive equipment.
  5. BryPaulD

from MI

I assume he was using it becuase his crappy $89 meijer 3hp junk wouldn't start and he couldn't get his rattly craftsman rider through the gate of this place, so he helped himself to mine. And no he did not ask.
  6. JCW-G

JCW-G LawnSite Member

I know it's too late now but,it would have been great if you video taped him damaging your equipment. Do you know if anybody else saw him with your mower? Is the landlord also the owner or does he just work there? This may be just the attorney in me talking but, I would take his %$# to court. I think you also lost some jobs that you were going to use your mower on RIGHT.
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You say you put it away for the winter... How did he get to it then? What other equipment of yours has he been helping himself to when you aren't around? I'd definitely have a serious talk with him.......
  8. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

My question is why did he stall it 5 times. I would have only given him a chance to stall it one time before I was out there telling him to take a long walk on a short pier in the Arctic circle.....
  9. BryPaulD

from MI

he has keys to the shed I stored it in. He is my landlord and I owe him some money, and he is my step father in-law, but still, why couldn't he have asked or called me and told me he needed that chunck of property done? Argghh he erks me :angry:
  10. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Father-in-law..... heck, that changes EVERYTHING!. Simply tell him that since the mower is broken and will be in the shop being repaired for the next XXXX months that he can just hand you CA$H each week until you can work again. He wouldn't want his daughter to starve....