Im working on my walker for the first time....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TheChiefsLawnCare, Mar 8, 2012.

1. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, my gearbox was leaking oil so I had to figure out how to get it all. I learned that you dont undo the springs because they are a BI%CH if I could bold I would too, to get back on lol. And its also like digging in a bucket of grease lol, since everything is greased, its like working in a bucket of grease lol. Covered from elbows to hands. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do for the best mower on the market. I did luck out tho and my gear box isnt cracked just needs a new gasket. Gonna clean all the oil (well grease because the previous owner put grease instead of oil in em, and then clean em real good so I can make sure and check all the gears while its apart.

2. Five Points

Five Points LawnSite Member

Do you mean the gear boxes on the deck??

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget about those boxes are timed relative to one another. It really is a pain to have to put it back together twice. And when putting in the lower seal over the blades be sure to get that guard put on. And epoxy the darn thing in place so you won't get it knocked out.

4. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you say best mower on the market?
    Maybe best for extensive maintenance!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. TheChiefsLawnCare

yea, i no they are timed, i have em marked right and left. yeah but they leave the nicest cut. and yes the gear boxes on the deck. yeah i have all the pieces. im putting it back together tomorrow. i got all the gear boxes cleaned and all the old oil cleaned out so imma put all new grease and then im thinking about changing the hydro oil when i pay all this stuff off and also its do for a grease job n an oil change

6. Fred B

Fred B LawnSite Member

I hate to say it you did it the hard way. Fun eh??? Not. But it is a great learning experiance.

7. TheChiefsLawnCare

Did what the hard way. I have to clean then out because the idiot that owned it before me put grease into the gear boxes instead of gear oil. So while I was taking it apart I might as well check the gears and all while I had it apart so I don't think I did it the hard way.

8. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

The exmark navigator takes less than minute to take off. Springs are easy as pie to go on and take off
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

Less than a minute to take what off?

The springs on my walker are fairly easy to hook and unhook.
    The tension is adjustable, maybe the OP's are tightened up too much.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Take the deck off
    Posted via Mobile Device