1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm writing a letter.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pcs, Feb 23, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

I'm writing a letter to my customers just to let them know what's going on. I don't know how I should word it to let them know about price increases. Also how should I end it?
  2. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

I'd start by explaining the price increase is due to high fuel cost and the rising cost of equipment. Explain that it's not a drastic increase, only $1, $2, $3, or whatever the raise is a week. End by telling them how much you appreciate there business and your looking forward to providing your service this year.
  3. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

This is the letter. Tell me what you think. What should be changed or added or deleted.

Dear Customer:

We would like to thank you for placing your confidence in us this past year. For those who signed up for our snow removal service, it’s been a long, hard winter, but we’ve made it through. Spring is just around the corner.

We would like to take a few minutes to review some changes that we’ve made over the winter with the company. All of us here have been hard at work over the past 3 months. From the crews out plowing and salting to the people in the office doing research to make everyone’s job easier. Which means more time can be focused on your property. We now have a new accounting program that will save time in billing and scheduling. Another change that was made is our good friends at the Government of Canada have giving us our GST number. This means we will now be charging GST (7%) on your invoices. All crewmembers attended a 3-day conference at the Toronto Congress Center. This was very informative and will be used to make your property look the best it can. We have also made some equipment purchases over the winter to ensure we have the best equipment working on your property.

We have a new Lawn Care Program this year. We have teamed up with Superior Lawn Care for all fertilizing and weed control. This allows us to focus on the maintenance of your property. We are now booking Spring Fertilizing starting in late March early April. Spring clean up along with aerating and dethaching are also being booked now.

Please give us a call as soon as possible so that we can put you in our schedule for this up and coming season. We look forward to hearing from you and serving you soon.

4. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

Sounds good. Very professional. Good luck!!
  5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

My letters went out the first of Feb. With the thanks yous, other services offered, etc. etc. Pricing went up again this year. Last year prices up 3% this year 6-8%. We all have to figure out how much it takes to operate our business. We love this work , but it is a business that must produce a profit. Two guys I know in the business are so scared to raise prices!? Fuel, insurance, repairs, etc. all go up yearly. So must our pricing. I lost 2% of my customers with the price increase. Big deal. Most were poor accounts. I already replace them and we are two-three weeks from mowing.
    Have a great season.
  6. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

State the truth:
    1)Higher cost of living
    2)You are more knowledgeable, quicker, and do a better job than last year
    3)You would like to make more money
    4)increased cost of doing business
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Iam with Viberay on this one. I do not think I would say that I want to make more money, though. (even though it IS the truth) That opens up too many bargaining questions. Looks and sounds great!