Image & Appearance Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnsonLawn, Jun 9, 2006.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

How important do you guys think it is to have the same color trucks in your fleet. I currently have a red 1992 1 ton dump, red 1988 3/4 ton and a silver 1998 1/2 ton. They are all clean and lettered. I will be picking up a red 7x16 enclosed trailer soon to match the mix. Maybe I am being a little picky but that silver truck keeps me awake at night. I know when I see another LCO with small fleet of matching trucks, I think it shows a well kept and organized image, where as, if I see a small fleet of multi-colored trucks the first thing that comes to mind is "Sanford and Son". Maybe you guys can give me your options on this so I can sleep better at night. Thanks

2. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

I think that as long as you are focusing on the color of your clients' lawns, you will be in good shape.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not that it makes all that diff, everything we run is red, trucks, mowers, etc. do a great job is more important IMO.

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I have to agree with what the responses so far. Although when everything is uniform it looks sharp. However, I know a few LCO that have vehicles that do not match their color scheme, and they are pretty successful. I think that it makes a difference, but how you present yourself and your work is more important. JMO

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The truck's being in good mechanical working order, clean looking, is more important then the color. We have Red, White and Blue, and a couple other color's of trucks .

I did ponder a marketing gimmick, useing the clan tartan, for all the trucks lol.

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Matching trucks project a more professional image. Uniformed crews also look more professional. However, if you don't do first class work it won't matter.

7. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

Focus on the color of the money you're making and the vehicle color won't bother you anymore.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

doing quality work like everyone says helps more than the color scheme, however what you're doing by having matching truck/ equipment colors is called branding. When you are driving down the road in an unfamiliar area looking for some food and you see some big golden arches, you instantly know that there is a mcD's there. The same is true when you have an established company, people see your truck around town at the nice homes, or next door at the neighbors and they will start thinking of you when they need work done. This works better when you have a logo or a lettered trucks.

Personally. my trucks are both a similar shade of red. They will be an exact match when I repaint the Toyota to match the ford.

9. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

ALL the big boys around here have the same color trucks and trailers. I think it looks more organized.