Image Editor Experiment - Vista (LONG post)

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Aug 11, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Bear with me if you're on dial-up connection. I recently purchased a new computer that's running Vista and am working the bugs out... and yes, there are a LOT of bugs with Vista.

Although Vista contains an image transfer/editing program it is not one that allows you to change the compression ratio of saved pictures. I was using IrfanView on my old computer (running XP) that allows me to set the compression ratio and not bring out the Picture Compression Police. :)

However... running IrfanView on my new computer apparently brings up compatibility issues and locks the Vista computer up... thoroughly. No way to escape the lock-up without actually turning off the computer's power and rebooting. I can't even bring up Task Manager in order to force the shut-down of IrfanView. :cry:

Downloaded a copy of Picasa-2 ("Vista rated") and it has an export feature to other file folders on the system or to e-mail where compression ratios can be set without messing with my original pictures that are usually 1.5 MB each. I leave all my original pictures in their original file sizes because it allows me greater flexibility when printing them on good photo paper and very large sizes if I wish to. So far Picasa-2 has worked flawlessly without locking up Vista so I'm moving on to posting them up on this forum. :clapping:

Here's a couple of pictures of a full day's work yesterday on a major construction project of a new office/multi-purpose building, main line rerouted and a major snafu on wiring. System has been rewired MANY times over the past 40+ years as new buildings, concrete fire lanes and other changes have been made on this relatively small site. I traced out many of the problems with the 521 but eventually could not R&D everything due to extreme electrical interference. It was finally decided that we will establish a completely new wiring route to connect with the various segments of the system.

We were working side-by-side with the contractor who was establishing a new trench for the main gas connection to the school and we knew our main core of wires from the controller crossed the path of their work before it got further out and then started going in multiple directions including doubling back, sudden direction changes, etc. Since the entire area will be under building hardscaping and concrete fire lane for about 150' it was imperative that we reestablish a valid wiring route to reconnect the field (40' away), kindergarten (300' away) and new POC/wiring (180' away) for zones that will be added in another area where new portables never had irrigation.

If this works I'll post up some other general pictures of the construction as it goes along until I get the compression ratio right.

Highland Wiring R&D 8-10-07 P2-001.JPG

Highland Wiring R&D 8-10-07 P2-002.JPG

Highland Wiring R&D 8-10-07 P2-003.JPG

2. PurpHaze

More general pictures of the construction site.

Freaking site was fenced off and someone forgot to have gates included. We're having to park out front and carry everything in. Our mowers cannot even get onto the site to mow the field/building areas unaffected by the construction. :dizzy:

Highland Wiring R&D 8-10-07 P2-04.JPG

Highland Wiring R&D 8-10-07 P2-05.JPG

Highland Wiring R&D 8-10-07 P2-06.JPG

3. Pics are great here. Last one was 67.8kb. Of course I'm cable internet.

4. PurpHaze

Thanks Pete. I have the Picasa2 export compression ratio set at 80% for right now so I'll stick with that for awhile and see how it manages.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Get rid of Vista, load XP or linux onto that new system. Don't feed the monster!!

6. Comments like this make me realize how thankful I am to be a 20 year plus apple user and clueless as to what this is even all about.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Ain't it wonderfull!:dizzy:

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Vista should have a 'compatibility mode' that would allow the running of XP-only programs, analagous to XP's 'compatibility mode' for running Windows 98 programs.

9. PurpHaze

On any downloaded/CD .exe program install file you can right click in Vista and tell it to install to XP compatibility mode. However, I was looking for one that would work directly with Vista as things are much faster then. So far, so good. I might try IrfanView in XP compatibility mode just for the heck of it later. One thing I really enjoy about IV is its ability to add text boxes to pictures as this is of great benefit when doing reports at work. However, I still have IV on my computer at work and that's where 99% of my photo reports are generated so it would be no big deal to not have access to it at home.

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I run XP on my work laptop, as Microsoft development pays my bills, and I can't bite the hand that feeds me.

But I'm posting this from my Ubuntu Linux desktop machine.