Imaging Software

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jkinchla, Feb 14, 2001.

1. jkinchla

jkinchla LawnSite Member
    from MA

I have been looking at landscape imaging software for a month now and it seems that there are two primary manufacturers:
    PROLandscape
    LandCadd
    Have any of you used these packages and would you recommend them? I am mostly looking for imaging capabilities where I can scan in a digital picture of the client's house and place plants around the picture. Please advise me on which software is better and why. Thanks, it is hard to compare these kinds of software products.

2. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

If you haven't tried out these programs you should start by buying Sierra's "Complete LandDesigner". It only costs about $60 and will get you up and running with little training or bucks. Running a program like DIG has a very steep learning curve and costs a thousand bucks. If you have never used a program like this, try it on a cheap scale first. Get a cheap digital camera like the IXLA or a used older camera until you are sure that this will be a good marketing tool for you. Not everyone needs this type of system. I've invested three thousand bucks in software and camera and I'm still not sure it's worthwhile.

3. jkinchla

jkinchla LawnSite Member
    from MA

Thanks Kermit. I already own a digital camera and a laptop computer, so I think the software would be a natural fit. Do you know where I can get the Sierra software you are talking about?

4. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

I bought my copy at a Future Shop but I expect it is also available at almost any reasonably well stocked software store. I have seen it at Computer City as well. Future Shop has a web site you might be able to order it from.
    Sierra has a website too; it might give you some more info. http://www.sierra.com
    Another similar program that I like is Planix Photo Landscape. You should be able to find it in the same software section as the Sierra program.

5. IvyLeagueLandscape

IvyLeagueLandscape LawnSite Member

I use prolandscape and have found that once you learn the basics you can start putting some decent images together. I just ordered the 2001 upgrade so I'll post once it arrives and I have used it