Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by alldayrj, Jun 30, 2013.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

We've discussed this, i agree. This thread is geared more towards the theft of my pic, as crappy as it is.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

But it's not "theft" if you left it for the taking. You're allowing him to borrow the fotos. Nice guy you are.

Not much else to say on the matter.

So might as well discuss your marketing portfolio.

No lawn around the new pavers is like John Deere marketing new tractors with bare metal and not yet painted.

Justt trying to help you and others become awesome like me :)

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  3. Red Shed Landscaping

Red Shed Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have or do use other peoples pictures (mainly the manufacture's pictures) to show the customer different styles of pavers or designs I haven't been able to use yet. Never used one from my competition in the area though.

I would love to take "finished" pictures of all our jobs but usually don't have time to go back later. I have gone back before and do more so on the nicer jobs but then there is sweeping off the patio/walkway, moving their crap out of the picture, winding up the hose, picking up kids toys and so on.

I did say to myself that I would like to start getting better pictures from now on earlier this spring so we will see how that goes.

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

No, it IS theft of intellectual property. Under US law you hold copyright on something as soon as it's published. Now, is it worth the cost of going after a loser looking to trade dental work for landscaping? Probably not, but most of these guys knock it off after a cease and desist letter.

5. alldayrj

Yea i made it easy for him to steal, but its still stealing.
    The thread was kind of a rant/ brain storming session on rebuttal. Havent heard back from him yet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dvs, you lie! No way you have friends!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. DVS Hardscaper

Not exactly correct, PaperCutter, with the "as soon as it's published".

The creator of this topic had his photos pirated from his Craigslist ad, not a web page.

Pretty Sure there are no copyright laws for classified advertising.

Its a well know fact that:

a) if you don't want anyone to know - don't put it on the www.
    b) if you don't want anyone to have use of it - don't put it on the www.

Now in terms of copyright - just because you have on your webpage a copyright date - doesn't give you exclusive legal rights. So say, you mail me a 4-color mailer advertising your services. And say I scan one of your photos on your mailer and I use that photo on my copyrighted web page. And 2 months later you decide you want to use the same photo, of YOUR job, on YOUR webpage - who has the legal right to it? I used your photo, but I put it on my website before your put it on your website.

So, always place a watermark on your photos. This way it *may* deter others from pirating it. And if they go to the effort to photoshop out the watermark - then they can have it. Otherwise - it is what it is and anything that happens is no one's fault but your own.

I used to advertise heavy on Craigslist. Nice, fancy ads too. Color Font, different size font, pictures embedded in HTML coding, the whole nine yards. Someone from my area copied my whole ad! All my photos are watermarked! So I called him and left a message saying "hey bozo, not only did you copy my ad in it's entirety - you also are using my pictures that are watermarked with my logo, how stupid are you!!!"

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  8. DVS Hardscaper

Money can buy you anything :weightlifter:

9. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

It doesn't matter where the creator of this topic first posted the photo. If he took the photo, he owns all rights to the photo, unless he has given those rights to someone else. Period. You create content, you own the copyright. I'll give you that I wasn't 100% accurate when I said "publish" because you own that copyright the moment it's created.

Your example makes no sense. If you take my photo and scan it, it was still my intellectual property to begin with. Period. The internet isn't a parallel universe governed by different copyright laws. It's just easier to steal content (and conversely easier to get caught).

We're in a business of ideas. If someone has to steal ideas then their ideas suck.

10. alldayrj

Got an email back. Sweet english bro.
    What fun stuff can i do with his phone number?
    If you guys are lonely at night feel free to blow up his phone
    [​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device