Immagration

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mak2, May 27, 2006.

1. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

Why are we not talking about the upcoming changes in the immagration laws and the effect it will have on our profession? Lets keep it professional, I have views on immagration but am really a fence sitter. I can see each side being good for buisness. I just want to knwo what everyone else thinks. Are there big changes coming? If so what are they? Think it will be more of the same?

2. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Most all I see lately are Mexican crews working for locally owned large LCOs. We have a large population of illegals that are willing to work for less which allows these company to bid less. I've had to lower the price on a couple of commercial accounts just to keep them. Whether you believe its good for the economy or business, thing are getting more and more cut throat every day. Competitiveness, global economy, doing more for less or what have you, I long for the days, back when I was a child in the fifties, when the father worked and could make a good living, the mother stayed home, the stores closed on Sundays and the kids didn't have to be afraid of the old guy down the street. Call me sentimental, but I don't think flooding the country with cheap labor to hold down wages and increase business profits is the way to go.

3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont hire someone because because they are Mexican, I hire them because they are the best.

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

this is a false statement, most big companies have a lot to lose and pay everyone on the books whether they are legal or not. your big commercial maintenance companies arent paying guys $70 cash for day......

5. Fvstringpicker

I didn't say they were paying off the books Clyde, I said they are hiring for less because there is a surplus of workers due to illegals. Nonetheless, you have no way of knowing whether I'm making a false statement or not. You apparently assume (we know what "assume" stands for) that because they are big and have a lot to lose, they're doing it right. Tell that to Ken Lay Bernie Ebbers and Dennis Kozlowski. Sarbains-Oxley wasn't created because big companies do it right. Besides there is little chance of getting caught by hiring illegals. I believe that during last 4 years of the Bush administration, there have been a whopping 3 cases filed against companies for hiring illegals.

6. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

Everyone reading this thread is a descendent of someone that came to this country from another country at some point. The legal issue is another matter. What I don't understand is that if you want to come here from the Middle East, they do a background check and grant you permission if it checks out. Just because you are Mexican, it is illegal. I've used both Whites and Mexicans. Pay being the same, I would hire a Mexican everytime. Everyone keeps screaming that they are taking away American jobs and they don't pay taxes. Mexican's aren't taking away American jobs. Americans are taking away American jobs. Most people that would work for $8.50 - $10.00/hr are just too damn lazy. People nowadays grow up thinking they are owed something or that others will take care of them. That is why it is hard to find good employees.

The easiest and best solution is: Allow all employers to request a federal tax ID for any immigrant worker that can pass a criminal background check. Employers will pay for the background check and immediately put them to work. Every Mexican would gladly pay taxes if they were allowed the priviledge to work here.

The arguement that they should do it legally is a big 50 gallon bag of crap. They can't. Only a certain number are allowed and those that aren't find a means to come here on their own. Put yourself in their position. If you lived in that God forsaken place called Mexico and made all week what you could make in an hour just across the border, what would you do. Would you fill out the paperwork every year to come here year after year? How many years would you keep doing this until you finally got your approval to come for a year and then go back? 5yrs? 10yrs? How many? Every Immigrant Mexican that I have ever met does not want to send money back to Mexico. What they want is to make a life here and pay taxes like you and I. They are good people and all of you should be fighting for them.

There, said my peace.:drinkup:

7. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

listen dont blame me or the illegals because you can't grow your business....

8. Fvstringpicker

I agree with you on that point, but this is a phenomenon that has occured in recent years. The USA didn't become the greatest country on earth because it's citizens are lazy. At some point you have to draw the line. We can't just open the borders allowing unfettered access to this country by illegals because business wants to drive down wages.

9. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

If they would allow Mexican immigrants to work and pay taxes like the rest of us, I think what you would find is that wages would go up and it would also lessen the tax burden on everyone. Wages would go up because as it is now, the immigrant accepts anything from someone that is willing to hire them. By giving them the OK to get a job and to pay taxes, I think you will find that business will have to compete for the best ones, therefore wages would increase. This is not about wages, it is about finding the best worker for your business.

This country did not become the greatest country on earth because it's citizens are lazy. And, you are right, in recent history this has become a problem. As a business owner, I really don't have time to address the social aspects on why people have become lazy. However, what I must make time for is to hire the best person for the job at hand. With that being said, there is no question that an immigrant worker is the better employee regardless of wage. As a business owner, if I am able to hire the best worker and that worker is able to pay taxes just like I am, then it does two things. 1) It enables my company to grow and be succesful and 2) It helps our country by contributing more tax dollars (the more money changes hands, the more everyone benifits).

10. Fvstringpicker

I totally agree with your logic. My problem is that most businesses that benefits of Mexican immigrants fail to consider the problems such as, and especially, health care. A friend who is the administrator of a local hospital says there is a direct correlation between the number of immigrants and indigent health costs. The city estimates that the number of immigrants has double in the last three years and his indigent health care has increase proportionally during same time frame. It seems that big business want an increasing inventory of the lower priced, harder working immigrant to improve their bottom line but would become unglued at even the suggestion they cover health care and other social cost directly associated with these workers. They seem too happy to simply pass these cost along to the taxpayer.