Immediate growth

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RippinV, Apr 9, 2002.

1. RippinV

RippinV LawnSite Member

Looking to get the lawn growth started quickly to establish and choke out existing crab/broadleaf weeds. just applied Lesco Pre-M last week. Was curious if I could throw down some pure N to get things started and what rate would you suggest?? Blue/Rye/Fesc on 1/2 acre.

Thx!

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

If you used Lesco Pre-M there should have been fert in the ormulation. Leave good nough alone. Things are just starting to grow and with any more nitrogen you are going to be cutting more than you want to be. Patience grasshopper.

3. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Pushing the N in spring is going to set you up for fungal diseases down the road. 1lb. of N per 1K sq ft in early spring is good. 1 lb. N per 1K sq ft in 6 - 10 weeks is OK if you will be irregating that lawn this summer.

jim

4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

John,
    You'll be OK. 10-14 days is normal here since the nights have been cold.
    For the record, I applied 34-0-0 Ammonium Nitrate about 2 weeks ago just to get things going. Ammoniacal N will perform at very low temperatures, but it's not the agronomically sound thing to do. It would NOT be wise to perform this action on top of the 19-3-7 30% PPSCU .86% Pre-M you just applied. That application delivered .75lbs N from Urea & Coated Urea. That will do for now. More would cause trouble later.
    Your program will work very well. You did get it I hope. If not let me know. I can resend it if you didn't.

All4now

Steve

5. RippinV

RippinV LawnSite Member

Tremor, thanks again for the program, I did get it and apologize for not achnowledging it earliers. I am going to use it as my Bible for lawn care this year!! I noticed more growth activity in just the last two days and am getting very excited about my lawn. I did notice however that the mild winter failed to kill all of the existing crab & clover plants so I spot treated with Bayer, hope this was the right thing to do?

John

6. tremor

All Crabgrass dies at the very first frost. That taller ugly grass is some Anual Rye that your stuck with til about the end of summer. I noticed it but am not worried since it's intermi gled with good perrenial grasses.
    Bayer makes lot's of different stuff for retail & commercial use. What was it specifically?

Steve

7. RippinV

RippinV LawnSite Member

It was a broadleaf week killer in a blue bottle, don't know the exact name off hand, but it did claim not to affect grass, only broadleaf weekds? Anyhow, I have another question???? I planted some seed last year in back after I built the deck and destroyed part of the lawn. In this area I put down Scotts fall seed mix, the problem is now that it is a totally different grass leaf and color, what should I do about this big discolored spot???

J

8. tremor

Assuming it was a blend that contained all better quality perrenial turf-type grasses, we do nothing. Young grass plants are very high in a hormone that is found in all young plants. That causes the plants to be more vigorous than their adult counterparts. When the young grass is 1 year old, it will look like all the rest of the turf. Now if that Scotts seed contained Anual Ryegrass or very cheap, unnamed varieties, we may have trouble.

I'll look again next time I'm over there.

How much influence do you have at the new course? We do 2 outings with the region every year, one summer, one fall and we're about as cheap as he** but we pay. Know anybody over there that can help?

Steve

9. RippinV

RippinV LawnSite Member

Tremor, Max Goree used to be the GM over there but last I heard he was no longer with them. I haven't done much with them yet and have hesitated to join in the current economic environment. You may just want to call and ask for Max and when they say he's no longer there tell them who you are and that you were referred to him by one of the residents for a potential outing. I would also use your affiliation to your advantage. Just a thought.

Thanks again for all your help.

10. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Tremor writes: "Assuming it was a blend that contained all better quality perrenial turf-type grasses, we do nothing. "

Last time I looked at a bag of Scotts seed (two weeks ago at the local Home Depot) it was 61% perennial ryegrass, 21% annual ryegrass, 9% single kentuchy bluegrass cultivar and 9% single fine fescue cultivar. This is not what I would label a "better quality perrenial turf-type grass!"

jim