Immediate Help needed from the experts!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tbillow, May 23, 2004.

1. tbillow

tbillow LawnSite Member

Hi guys,

I have been reading a lot about exmark's on the site and they sound like a good machine. I have 2.5 acres to mow that takes 3+ hours on my craftsman mower - so I am looking for a faster machine. I am looking at below (auction end in 1 hour) This Lazer has a 23 hp kohler air cooled. Machine is in good shape.

I have 2 questions :

Is it a good move to buy a used commercial or is there a high end residential that would do better?

What would be a good price for attached link - exmark lazer

Thanks for you help,
    Exmark lazer for sale
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would email him about the hours on it...forget it found them
  3. tiedeman

from earth

How much are you going to use the machine? Just for your residential right? I personally wouldn't buy it just for that. But that is me
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Personally I am quite leary of buying this type of equipment on an e-bay auction................Just my opinion.
  5. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Wow thats a lot of mower for a home owner. I love my exmark, but if I were you I would get a deer or kabuta garden tractor that you could put a snow blade and other attachments on. What ever you do get rid of the crapsman, and try to by something not made by MTD, for the love of god and all that is good. I spit upon mtd - I am a previouse owner, and my old man just bought a new deer to replace his crapsman/mtd. MTD = 5 years maybe/ good deer = 20+.
    I was looking at the exmark z the other day and ones like that where running around 8500 new with out the bagger. But 850 hours is a lot of time to abuse it. Was it owned by a homeowner or lcos?
  6. tbillow

tbillow LawnSite Member

Yes - just my house. Is there a residential mower you would recommend to cut down on cutting time?

Another question - I considered getting a service, but I thought it would cost a good bit. At least $70 (based on what my neighbors are paying) which is a little steep (30@$70 = $2100 a year) for me to afford long term. It is 2.5 acres and hilly, minimal trimming, a good number of trees to navigate.
  7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

if he lives by you, email him and tell him, and ask for his number, tell him your very interested and if u can come look at it, and then you can go check it out.... thats what i did with my 48in mower ;)
  8. tiedeman

from earth

$70 seems like a good price to me from what you describe. Sounds like you are getting a deal.
  9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

That mower should take care of your 2.5 acres is an hour or so. Would definitely be worth the time savings. You might even ENJOY that time & mow 2 times a week!

Other bidders have LOW numbers. One has a 0 feedback and the other has 2. I worry about them being unqualified bidders that are running up the price.

10. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

I was looking at buying a used commercial unit but decided not to. I did the math on this one and it has 86.8 10 hour days on it. In my homeowner mind that is alot of time. In my research I found that you can buy a Hustler mini-Z with a 25 hp Kawasaki and a 52" deck for @ $5,800 dollars. They are on sale until the end of May (just a couple more days). The mini-Z has the same commercial parts as the full size z - same deck spindles, same hydraulics, same drive, same engine, etc., it is just a little smaller. A very good unit and perfect for what you are looking for. Step up to a full size Z for @ 7,000 with a 23hp Kawasaki. The bottom line is the money and the coerce is yours but I would go for new. Drive to Delaware (you are not to far away in West Chester) and save the taxes. I have been watching auctions like yours and I am going to bet that the $'s get into the $5,000+ dollar range before all is said an done. My 2 cents.