Immigration Bill passed in Georgia

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Turf66, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Turf66

Turf66 LawnSite Member

I'm not sure how most feel about this subject, but I feel that this is going to make hiring a little more difficult for the industry as a whole.I think something needs to be done with the current system I just don't know if this was it.If they paid taxes for the income earned and help support the social system in which they have chose to inhabitat. I ran an ad last week for full time help and I asked to send info via fax and got one fax. Going to the local corner store would have been easier but they are here today and gone tomorrow.If their was some traceability for these guys but they can disappear overnight and never be found. Starting July 1,2007 all employers have to report illegals to the government. As of today, all of my employees are local boys. I have hired Hispanics in the past and they worked great until my accountant asked for their tax info and i had to suck up that income loss. I now pay W/Comp., unemp. ins. FICA match and all the things you do as a business. NO MORE VOTE FOR PEDRO, VOTE FOR SONNY! H2B may be an option! I currently have 7 Employees and i'm looking for more i can't imagine having several hundred Hispanics and having to verify their cred's!! :dizzy: :usflag:

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

If people keep hiring illegals, they won't have any desire to try to become legal. Why pay taxes if they don't have to?

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

This is a werid post....

as I recall the bill was shot down in Congress,

4. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Federal legislation was shot down, but this does not preclude states from enacting their own - which they are doing. It is going to be a clusterpuck with every state concocting their own set of enforcement requirements. The whole thing really blows and in the meantime nothing has been done to address the 12-20 million illegals that are here, nothing has been done to deal with our labor shortage, etc. - yet congress found time to give themselves a nice little pay raise for ...ummm...doing NOTHING substantive

5. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

The last company I worked for before going out on my own only has 1 legal person per crew and thats the driver. Even the manager of the landscape division is illegal, he came over legally and then stayed past his visa date. Some how he is able to keep getting his drivers license renewed.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Well it still doesnt mean anything, I remember when the red light cameras were installed in my home town of Garland TExas, the feds said NO,,,, my town said we dont care, so they wrote ticketts, and noone paid them, warents came out, people wrote there congressman and they shut down the cameras, a few sued,