Lawn Care Forum banner

Immigration law in Alabama

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  David Haggerty 
#1 ·
Maybe soon all the states will be wise enough to pass this type of law. I am for it but it might be rough for some LCOs who use a lot of illegal labor.

#3 ·
If you can't hire locals (and I do mean Americans, DON'T HIRE) then don't hire some person because he stinks and needs a bath. There are good locals that need jobs and will do a good days work, Its just hard to find them!!!
See this whole debate all boils down to your location. My area is a big money super high cost of living area. You pay somebody $12 an hour and work them 40 hours a week that gives them $480 a week. Then you take away taxes and everything and they walk away with $300 at the end of the week. Multiply that by 4 weeks and they bring home around $1200 a month. Well you can not rent a 1 bedroom apartment for less than $900 a month and most are over $1000 a month in decent neighborhoods. That leaves your worker with no money for anything else in life. So around my area you see nothing but truck loads of illegals. Honest to god I see 20 to 30 crews every day I am out and maybe 10 times a year I see a white person in one of the trucks.

#5 ·
that's something i just don't get in america...there are tons...and i mean tons of jobs that pay like $8-$12 per hour....you can't make a living earning that...you just can't...unless you live in some rat infested corner of a building that used to be a public bathroom or if you do like the mexicans and live with 10 people in 1 house....i mean get serious....honestly...you can't live on that much money...not even one person....you can't afford housing, food, clothing, cars, insurance, etc....yet i'd say 75% of jobs pay this amount....it's strange...americans make more money than any other country yet our cost of living is too high for what we make...it's just a recipe for disaster...you used to could buy a brand new car for less than $3000 and the car companies made money back then...now they sell them for $30k and they are going into bankruptcy...it's just rediculous...you can't find american workers unless they are in college or high school...working adults can't afford to only make $10 an hour...they won't be able to survive on that...especially if they only are working 6-8 months out of the year cutting grass.

#6 ·
Luckily for me I live in a low cost of living area. I can pay my help $10 an hour and they feel fortunate to make as much as they do. One lives in a small but fairly nice duplex and only pays $425/mo. + electric. Between him and his fiance it doesn't take but one week out of the month to pay all of their bills, and he makes more than she does.

My two guys are both white. I've had a hispanic guy help me before. He was legal and a close personal friend. He still helps out when someone has to take a day off.

You would be surprised how much it can set you apart to have everyone in your crew fully approachable by customers. Not just because of the language barrier either. I tell my customers to feel free to talk to any one of us as though they are talking to me. Just don't ask them to do estimates. :)

#7 · (Edited)
$10 x 40 hrs = $400 -23% taxes = $308/week x 4 weeks = $1232 - $425(rent) = $807

i'd say it would cost at least $400 a month for food alone which brings it down to $407

does the guy have a car? if so there's a car payment and gas money..... or does he ride a bike?....what about other bills like phone, cable, water, gas, trash, etc.?...health insurance?....anyways even in low cost of living areas it's still near impossible to make it...if he wasn't married he wouldn't have the extra money his wife makes to help pay bills.

anyways i wonder how this will affect the mexican population around here....they are here in a major way...they have their own part of town, their own grocery stores, and such...i guess they are here to work at the Tyson chicken plant....although i've heard they are bringing in like 2000 nigerians to work there or something...it's just a mess....before long english will be the 3rd language in america....they are teaching the kids here chinese now...they did away with computer and reading classes and now are teaching chinese...mandatory.....it's just a matter of time.

#8 ·
$10 x 40 hrs = $400 -23% taxes = $308/week x 4 weeks = $1232 - $425(rent) = $807

i'd say it would cost at least $400 a month for food alone which brings it down to $407

does the guy have a car? if so there's a car payment and gas money..... or does he ride a bike?....what about other bills like phone, cable, water, gas, trash, etc.?...health insurance?....anyways even in low cost of living areas it's still near impossible to make it...if he wasn't married he wouldn't have the extra money his wife makes to help pay bills.

anyways i wonder how this will affect the mexican population around here....they are here in a major way...they have their own part of town, their own grocery stores, and such...i guess they are here to work at the Tyson chicken plant....although i've heard they are bringing in like 2000 nigerians to work there or something...it's just a mess....before long english will be the 3rd language in america....they are teaching the kids here chinese now...they did away with computer and reading classes and now are teaching chinese...mandatory.....it's just a matter of time.
Where do you get 23%.....just SS and maybe sales tax ...but tell me how people live without any job....? I think I know the answer our government has so many support programs that american don't need to work anymore to live on low end. And yes I guess they live better than the guy with no support and making $10. What in the hell are you going to do for workers in your state:confused: I'll bet ours will be next. Everything will go underground more than what it is now.

#9 ·
that's something i just don't get in america...there are tons...and i mean tons of jobs that pay like $8-$12 per hour....you can't make a living earning that...you just can't...unless you live in some rat infested corner of a building that used to be a public bathroom or if you do like the mexicans and live with 10 people in 1 house....i mean get serious....honestly...you can't live on that much money...not even one person....you can't afford housing, food, clothing, cars, insurance, etc....yet i'd say 75% of jobs pay this amount....it's strange...americans make more money than any other country yet our cost of living is too high for what we make...it's just a recipe for disaster...you used to could buy a brand new car for less than $3000 and the car companies made money back then...now they sell them for $30k and they are going into bankruptcy...it's just rediculous...you can't find american workers unless they are in college or high school...working adults can't afford to only make $10 an hour...they won't be able to survive on that...especially if they only are working 6-8 months out of the year cutting grass.
how people continue to vote for liberals simply amazes me. Illegals are hired because of this. many people flat out wont work for that. if they lose a job in which they made 550 dollars, they will collect unemployment instead of working. President Obama has not helped revovery. when he took office in 2008 unelmploment was around 5%. it is now 9%. people need to do research instead of ONLY watching CNN/MSNBC/FOX. sorry to rant there. political science minor lol.

#10 ·
Yeah, lets turn this into a political rant. That always keeps these threads nice and short!

Ohio has strict enforcement of illegal workers. My two nephews each got $10 /hr jobs and were glad to get them. One was for "an experienced lawncare worker".

What's up with these TV ads about immigration reform? FAIRChance at jobs.com. Isn't that where we get our doctors & scientists? Like after WWII when we brought in all the ex Natzi's to win the space race.
The phrase back then was "America has the best and brightest scientists in the world! (Or we'll go out and bring more in.)

I figure if we block the vegetable pickers from coming in the price of food will go even higher. Those legal imigrants are professionals. My sister tried picking tomatoes with them one year. She lasted a day!

I consider myself a professional lawncare worker. When some customer asked what they can do to help, I tell them just keep out of my way, that'll help more than anything.

#11 ·
Yeah, lets turn this into a political rant. That always keeps these threads nice and short!

Ohio has strict enforcement of illegal workers. My two nephews each got $10 /hr jobs and were glad to get them. One was for "an experienced lawncare worker".

What's up with these TV ads about immigration reform? FAIRChance at jobs.com. Isn't that where we get our doctors & scientists? Like after WWII when we brought in all the ex Natzi's to win the space race.
The phrase back then was "America has the best and brightest scientists in the world! (Or we'll go out and bring more in.)

I figure if we block the vegetable pickers from coming in the price of food will go even higher. Those legal imigrants are professionals. My sister tried picking tomatoes with them one year. She lasted a day!

I consider myself a professional lawncare worker. When some customer asked what they can do to help, I tell them just keep out of my way, that'll help more than anything.
this really isnt the original issue. all of that stems from something beforehand.

#12 · (Edited)
Where do you get 23%.....just SS and maybe sales tax ...but tell me how people live without any job....? I think I know the answer our government has so many support programs that american don't need to work anymore to live on low end. And yes I guess they live better than the guy with no support and making $10. What in the hell are you going to do for workers in your state:confused: I'll bet ours will be next. Everything will go underground more than what it is now.
well i guess it could be less than 23% if you don't have retirment coming out of it (401k)...we don't pay sales tax here unless we buy something at a store.

#13 ·
anyways i think it's good...but they are already fighting it...there's a big lawsuit about how it's racial profiling or whatever lol....they should get the illegal ones out of here...the legal ones can stay....maybe they will stop cutting yards for $20 and such if they are outta here so that helps us all in this industry.

#15 ·
Exactly Jason
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey! That's the point I was trying to make too. I was just trying to do it with personal experiences, so you'd know it wasn't just something I saw on TV.

1. Ohio not only busts illegals it busts their employer.
2. We ought to keep the legal immigrants, kick out the illegals. (and maybe kick out the people that hire them too)
3. We want those $10/hr jobs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.