1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Immigration reform

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bcg, May 18, 2007.

1. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

So these look like the 2 items in the proposed reforms that would most effect our industry. What are your thoughts on them?

Creating A Temporary Worker Program

To Relieve Pressure On The Border And Provide A Lawful Channel To Meet The Needs Of Our Economy, The Proposal Creates A Temporary Worker Program. The program allows workers to enter the country to fill jobs that Americans are not doing. The temporary worker program:

Protects American workers by requiring U.S. employers to advertise the job in the United States at a competitive wage before hiring a temporary worker.
    • Provides additional labor protections for temporary worker program participants.
    • Allows temporary workers to enter the United States to work for three two-year terms, with at least a year spent outside the United States between each term.
    • Sets a cap of 400,000 on the temporary worker program, which can be adjusted up or down in the future depending on demand.
    • Requires temporary workers who want to bring their immediate family to show that they have the financial means to support them and that they are covered by health insurance.
    • Recognizes the unique needs of agriculture by establishing a separate seasonal agriculture component under the temporary worker program.
    • No Amnesty For Illegal Immigrants

Illegal Immigrants Who Come Out Of The Shadows Will Be Given Probationary Status. To maintain their probationary status, they must pass a background check, remain employed, and maintain a clean criminal record.

Illegal Immigrants Who Fulfill Their Probationary Requirements Can Apply For A Z Card, Which Will Enable Them To Live, Work, And Travel Freely. Z card holders will be required to pay a $1,000 fine, meet accelerated English and civics requirements, remain employed, and renew their visa every four years.

Z Card Holders Will Have An Opportunity To Apply For A Green Card, But Only After:

• Paying an additional $4,000 fine,
    • Applying at the back of the line and waiting until the current backlog is cleared,
    • Returning to their home country to file their green card application, and
    • Demonstrating merit under the merit-based system.

2. ProLandscapes

ProLandscapes LawnSite Member

I say seal the border tighter than hillary's legs when bill comes looking for some nookie and ship all those criminals back home. Start with all the MS13 thugs and go from there. Why reward people for breaking the law? I know allot of them and they will bang your 10 yr old daughter if they get the chance. Most of them are sick as hell, not all but MOST!
  3. kevjus07

kevjus07 LawnSite Member

It took me 18 months and thousands of $$$ invested in a business here (I was from UK) to 'do it' legally. What kind of message will be sent out to those following the rules if a $1000 fine makes it OK to have broken the law.
  4. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

All i can say is: I wish I could violate a federal law, not pay taxes and have access to free health care, education and public services for a year or more, then pay a measly fine, and have everything be hunky dorey.

I asked my local congressman where I could apply to have my citizenship revoked, so i could get the same deal. I have yet to hear from him.
  5. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Yes the old saying if it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck it is a duck. It sounds.... like amnesty to me. Round them up and send their butts back home where they belong. On a side note Oklahoma just passed a law, I forget the number on the bill now, but it is supposed to be the toughest state law in the nation for hiring illegals. We need some more states to pass similar laws, and take our country back from the "Brown Tide" that is taking it over. Later, Tony
  6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with you all.

All I need to know about any immigration reform is this: if Ted Kennedy supports it, you know it's a bs piece of legislation.
  7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

First of all, immigration matters are covered under Federal Laws.
    No State is allowed to enact, legislate nor alter Federal Laws - it is in the Constitution.
    That said, a fact that cannot be overlooked is that the US economy is predicated to a certain degree upon cheap labor. Simply rounding up undocumented workers and "shipping them home" will never occur - for several reasons.
    First of all, there is way, way to many undocumented workers, primarily from Central American and Asian countries.
    Secondly, it would cost so much to deport these undocumented workers, simple economics prevail to say this will never happen either.
    The same economics apply to "sealing" the borders - way too much area to cover, not enough Border Patrol people, and to hire, train, equip and deploy the vast numbers of additional personnel needed means this will never happen either.
    Third, most of these countries quite simply will not receive these returnees so like it or not we are stuck with them.
    The US cannot incarcerate the undocumented workers, in all reality cannot round all of them up so this means we have to find a way to deal with them here in our country.
    Will an amnesty result - probably, pretty much what Reagan resorted to in the eighties will reemerge in a somewhat similar fashion.
  8. ProLandscapes

ProLandscapes LawnSite Member

The border could be sealed in 48hrs if we gave the Army orders to do it!
  9. mountain man

mountain man LawnSite Member

This industry needs legal industry reform for laborers. Most of the comments we see are coming from smaller operations that don't have a need for 10,20,100 or more employees each season. I read thread after thread about how hard it is to find employees, but in the same breath they want to send everyone back to Mexico. If we as an industry cannot find and bring in legal workers then there is no way all of the work can be completed.

By the way, with the H2B system, the guys do pay taxes and they go home every year after the season is completed.

This is a terribly complicated situation. Look at our national industry associations such as Planet. They support immigration reform and raising the H2B limits.
  10. bfstrider

bfstrider LawnSite Member

It would be very nice to ship them all back. All illegals. All I know is, that if I break the law in this country (do something illegal) I'll be punished. Why let the illegals come here and not suffer punishment. Send them back and let them go through the proper channels to come here legally. The legal citizens, tax payer in this country keep these people up. Go buy any county health department and look at what is waiting in line. This might open some eyes. I don't see anyone offering to help me or my family and we are legal citizens.