1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Impact of Snow on Spring Lawn Growth

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by 2fatguyslawncare, Feb 29, 2008.

1. 2fatguyslawncare

2fatguyslawncare LawnSite Member

Hi all, here in Maine we are currently sitting on the 5th most snowfall for a year, 1 inch from the fourth most and about a foot from an all time snowfall record.

We are expecting another foot or so tonight. What are the real impacts this amount of snowfall has on the spring lawn growth/health? Any at all?

What about pests in the spring?

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Its a double edged sword for me here in jersey. The longer the soil temperature stays cold the later I can apply my preemergent for crabgrass control and the longer into the season it will last. However, that also pushed back my start date for lawn maintenance.

you can't control mother nature, and lord knows the freakin weather forcasters suck at it!
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Snow is considered a poor mans fertilizer by the old timmers.
  4. 2fatguyslawncare

Well looking out my window, I am a rich man!
  5. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know about sheer amount but I know up here we recieved so much so quickly that out ground dd not freeze. that snow is acting like a big insulation blanket now. soil temps here are in the 40's the oldtimers have said it has been a long time since we have had this much snow fall but they also tell you it is what they remember this town always being like. The only thing I am concerened about is mold at this point
  6. 2fatguyslawncare

That's interesting Packey. Here, we definitely had frost and deep freeze before the snow fall.

How do you a) recognize and b) remediate a mold problem? I have seen it in plants (and walls and HVAC systems) but never on turf.

7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, you're right!
    I read an article the other day about how scientists are just now finding out that a lot of snowfall that goes on in the world...originates from the crystallization of frozen water vapor that 'surround' a certain type of bacteria, initially, as it forms.

I don't have the name in front of me right now...but I remember it read that it was a bacteria that commonly affected certain grains, produce, and vegetable crops worldwide.

So NOW some scientists are back-tracking...thinking (maybe) that it's WISE to preserve certain bacteria in the environment, that before were thought to be 100% HARMFUL !!!

I'll see if I can dig that back up....
  8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

In my limited experience, the snow doesn't have much impact on the lawn, except the delay. It seems to make it a little easier to sell Spring dethatching, since the lawn looks pretty bad after the snow melts.
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Snowmold will probably be a problem. Particularly on bent and poa golf greens. On home lawns certain types of ryegrass can be affected. Its a good idea to say with the better quality of ryegrass if you do any seeding. What is your soil temp? In your area? I found that you can get a nice metal soil temp thermometer with dial read out at Big Lots! They are only 6 bucks in the kitchen gadgets dept.

In theory the grass will recover, but this may be an opportunity to earn a few dollars by reseeding the affected area. Use better qulaity seed of course. But no company claims snowmold resistant seed as far as I know.

TOMBOYS LawnSite Member

I agree with RigglePLC. Pink snow mold is probably your biggest concern for rye grass after late snow fall. If most of your lawns are tall fescue, you probably don't have much to worry about. Kentucky blue is prone to disease, but not usually early season.

The only rye grass seed I know of that is endophyte enhanced is for gray leaf spot.