Impact vs torque wrench

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Keegan, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You should have a air output regulator on your compressor, If not you should be able to reduce the max pressure at the pressure switch adjustment.

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

It does! 2 of them actually!;)

3. jeffco67

jeffco67 LawnSite Member

Craftsman sells the Ingersoll Rand IR-2131 (a very good impact) under their brand, quite a bit cheaper than the IR from most retailers...that's my vote. The 2131 can make over 600 ft/lbs in reverse, plenty for nearly any job and scary strong for a 1/2" drive impact.

It's been a few years since I bought one, not sure if that PN has been replaced by another, but I'm talking about the chrome/black composite case one, with the big red buttons on the back and exhaust through the bottom of the handle....

4. jeffco67

jeffco67 LawnSite Member

One is your compressor cut-out pressure, one is actual line pressure regulator...you can set to cut out at 120 psi, but only run 90 psi out the line, for more reserve, etc....

5. Mickhippy

I may not have as many to choose from over here but I will keep my eyes open.

6. Mickhippy

There is only one valve to set PSI. Like I said, this is only a cheap compressor so I dont expect much from it. However, next time it will be a kick azz one semi commercial type.

I'll post a pic (not running) of the front and back where the valve/connection is. I have it set at 90psi due to the bodgey gun ....

DSC00081.JPG

7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

15/16st wrench works for me.

8. jeffco67

jeffco67 LawnSite Member

If that's you in your avatar, you should be able to scare the nuts off a blade.:laugh:

9. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have never purchased this gun if not for the fact I started receiving 2-3 Z mowers a week with blade bolts locked on so bad I would have to get them cherry red with a torch to remove them, Is it over kill :hammerhead: yes but If i don't have to spend a half an hour a week heating blade bolts thats $$$$$$ in my pocket and once they are off a little never seize on the threads and I don't have the problem again :drinkup:

10. Mickhippy

How many ft/lbs do you lot think is good? Would 450ft/lbs be enough?
    I found this one on ebay but have also found the same one on another site fo about Au$70. Heaps less than the one on ebay.
    Might have to cut n paste this link!
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-PF800-1-...4QQihZ015QQcategoryZ22663QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Heres the link to the other one I found. Half way down the page or so! http://www.capsaust.com.au/products/Hot Deals/airtools-specials.html
    Buy the way, sorry for hi jacking the thread!