Impact vs torque wrench

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Keegan, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Just bumping this thread to get some of your thoughts on theat Power Force gun!

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

OK, I see no one said anything about Walkers here yet so I will. Walkers blades HAVE to be put on with a torque wrench because the blades have shear bolts and the new ones also have a shear pin in the PTO shaft. Now if you what to blow a gear box by over tightening the blades then I hope you have a few extra hundred dollars laying around. Blades that are gear driven MUST be torqued to the OEM specs if not and you hit something which everyone does sooner or later you can blow a gear box. Shear bolts and pins are cheap gear boxes are not.

4. Mickhippy

Do you think 450ft/lbs is enough toque? One left is a bugger!
    Do you like the look of that grease gun? Au$23 look like a bargain!

MODEL: PF800
    Max Torque 450 ft/lbs
    Free Speed 8,000 RPM
    1/2" Drive
    Air Requirement 4CFM @ 90PSI
    Weight 2.6kg
    Twin Hammer Mechanism delivers balanced blows
    for maximum power and smoothness
    Powerful 6 vane motor delivers 450 ft/lbs of torque
    and 8,000 RPM's of free speed
    Variable Speed Trigger for ultimate control
    Handle exhaust directs air away from work area
    and helps prevent material blow back

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I believe the old CP gun I had was 450 and worked alright, But remember you said you didn't want to spend much $$$ on one and as the ft/lbs. go up on quality brand guns the $$$ do also.

Myself, I never cared for pneumatic grease guns, Just something about hearing them things pop off a 100 or so times while greasing a unit.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

;) ;) I learned something new today, I didnt know that about a walker mower, I can only imagine what would of happened if I had one and the dealer wouldnt of told me :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

wayne

7. Mickhippy

This is true but from checking out prices on the net, I dont really have a choice by the looks.
    I just found that Powerforce and saw the price (the cheapest Ive seen) but if it wont be strong enough, I wont get it. The one I have now is gutless and I end up getting the breaker bar out anyway. I wont to avoid that!
    If I have to spend more on a gun that will last me forever, I dont mind doing so. As long as it gets every bolt off every time!

I dont know what to do really! Maybe 600ft'lbs or something to be safe.

Thanks for your help!

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Why doesn't a simple socket wrench work.....I have used that for many years. You use two of them one for top and one for bottom. And on units like Wright and Walker a simple block of wood with C clamp will stop the blade and you only need one wrench.

9. Mickhippy

Been there done that, and it sux! Why do we buy large expensive mowers when a garden tractor will do? To save time and make life easier!

10. Mickhippy