Impact vs torque wrench

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Keegan, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I found one over there on ebay for $214US and another for Us $223. By the time I pay post and US currency its about $350Au. I cant even find one on the net here!

3. Restrorob

Well, I really don't know what to tell you Mick. Guess you will have to find what ever you can that fits your budget. I don't mind saying my mouse finger was quivering while looking at the add to cart logo on that one. :cry:

4. Mickhippy

Haaaaaaaaa! Its ok, he's got 8 more! I just bought it! :drinkup: Before I read your post I might add!:weightlifter:

Thanks heaps for your thoughts etc.
    Now, what do you know about air compressors?:cry: lol

Seriously, I spent all day looking for a good Impact at a good price! Couldnt find a single one that was anywhere near that one. Even with the currency exchange and postage Im way ahead.
    Im pretty happy now!:cool2:

Thanks again!

5. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

What is your capacity in air flow and tank volume of the compressor you use?
    In the states, we have 110Vac and 220Vac @ 60Hz. If you have the equivalent power source across the big pond, then a two horse minimum compressor motor will do. My electric, that I use most for impact wrench, tire inflation, etc, is three horse . I use a ten horse Kohler driven b1tch for light duty sand blasting, Blowing off my equipment after use, etc.

6. Mickhippy

Its just a cheap 2.5hp/40liter tank, it didnt come with spec's so not sure of the flow. I will look at upgrading some time in the future but it should be enough to take off a couple of bolts even if it means waiting a couple of seconds between shots.

7. Restrorob

Yeah.....That will get old quick, I had a 3 hp 110v with 20 gal tank that didn't last long. I got tired of waiting on it to build back up. Now I have a BIG V twin 220v with a 80 gal. tank, It doesn't even know it when I use my sandblaster.

8. Mickhippy

I hear ya but for the time being it should be fine.

9. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Does the compressor spin up pretty fast?
    I have seen a few 110Vac dogs that just chug along. As long as yours comes on fast and furious, your air volume should be OK.

10. Mickhippy

Fast and furious! A couple of min's to charge.
    I also need to replace the hose fittings. I bought a cheap, recoil set up when I got the compressor and there are leaks everywhere.
    NEVER buy cheap rubbish!