impact wrench for blade changes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, May 4, 2001.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Eric,

I noticed on your website that you encouraged folks to use something other than an impact wrench when changing blades because it might cup the flat washer on the spindle. Does the cupped washer change the cutting height or is there something else that causes it to be a problem?

2. Guest

blade bolts need not be super tightened just makes it harder to chenge them unless you wanna buy the impact machine and haul it around

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I've always used 2 15/16th wreches with no problems. I did have a repair & it was put on with impact, like to never got it off. I'll stick to the hand tools.

Ray

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I hope I said it will flatten out cupped washers, not cup flat washers. They put spring like tention on the blade to hold it tight.

No, it won't change the cutting highth, just ruin the affect of the washer.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Makita rechargable impact gun. Works great. (and fast) and it goes right with me out into the field if I have to do a mid day change.

6. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I use an impact wrench for the speed, and the cool sound it makes. But seriously, I change six blades every day when I get back to my shop, and the impact saves me both time and skinned (skint) knuckles. I just use my good sense and don't put them on too tight. Hope this helps. Bill

7. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

An impact gun can be very helpful to loosen stuck blade bolts, however, ususally, I tighten by hand so as not to overtighten.

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Where did you get that and how much was it? This sounds like a handy device to have on the job. I have several Makita tools, but I have never seen the impact gun.

I know if you clean off the nicks in the bolt threads with a die, it makes putting the bolts in by hand much easier. Bolts are full of nicks in the threads even when brand new, so this is the first thing I do when getting new mowers.

9. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Eric,

You did say "flatten out cupped washers" on your site, but I misunderstood. Sorry. I never realized they were cupped.

10. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any problems removing bolts with an impact. But I do with installing any bolt with an impact.

1. You will never know how tight the bolt is unless you have an impact with a torque limiter built into it. These are expensive.(a real clutch calibrated to release a predetermined values. Not a throttle valvbe found on most impacts)
    2. The next thing that will happen is your employees will tire of starting the bolts by hand, and they will stick them in the socket and cram them on the spindle with the impact. ruining the bolt,spindle,and your day.

3. I personally recommend using a torque wrench for such a critical component as a mower blade.