Impact Wrench...Now What?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SteveInMD, May 14, 2005.

1. SteveInMD

SteveInMD LawnSite Member

I thought my days of PITA blade changes were over. I went out and got a good quality impact wrench rated at 600 ft/lbs. I lifted up my Exmark and only got one blade off! :angry: After some PB Blaster lube I managed to get another off, but no luck on the third. I'm going to let the PB Blaster soak in a while.

My question is how do I keep the blades from seizing on there? The last guy to change the blades was the dealer. Maybe they over torqued them, but I've had trouble before. Is it safe to use anti-seize compound on the bolts? Is there anything else I can try?

2. cndhaines

cndhaines LawnSite Member

use anti seize on everything u want to actually take apart, blue lock tight if u want it to hold together like on engine bolts but still want to be able to take it apart , red lock tight if u never want it to come apart.

chris

3. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

antiseize is perfect for that application, keeping water off the grass from rusting the bolts inside. WD(water displacement)-40 also is decent on blades that come off weekly or sooner. I do want to mention, however, that you should make sure that you do not put your blades back on with your impact gun at it's highest setting, in case you hadn't considered that with the new tool. We always took off at max, put on at minimum and never had any trouble with loosening or anything of that nature.

4. DeWitt Lawncare

DeWitt Lawncare LawnSite Member

Everytime my mowers are in the dealership, I can't get the blades off with my impact wrench. I took my mowers up to the tire place and they took them off for free. It's been my experience that a homeowner's impact wrench won't lock the nuts on too tight. I doubt you'll have a problem if you have a commercial guy take them off and you put them back on.

5. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Anti seize will help out, unless you clobber something with a blade and it torques down the blade on impact. Then, as much as I hate to say it.... Cheater bar if the impact wrench fails.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

This is very true.
    Also if this does not work you will have to heat up the bottom of the shaft where the bolt goes in. Do not over heat it or you will blow the seal. I have bent blades trying to take off the blade bolts on the spindles that the bolts where put on to lose and they tighten up on there own pretty good.

John

7. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you do not use a copper or nickel based anti seize on the blade bolts. Try to find one that is a food grade compound.

I don't recall, but I think I read this in a Scag or Exmark owners manual.

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I had the same problem. spent over two hours with a air ratchet, impact gun, breaker bar, everything. finally got them of, but is was a major pita. the bolts even had anti sieze on them.

9. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Anti-seize or spit on it, don't tighten them next time we pull blades off everyday

10. SteveInMD

SteveInMD LawnSite Member

BTW - I did manage to get the last blade off. I re-installed them with anti-seize on the threads, washers, and spindle bases. The anti-seize I used is made by Permatex, but it doesn't say if it has nickle or copper in it. Does anyone know who makes a food grade product? I checked my Exmark manual and I didn't see this above note, but then again my machine is kind of old, maybe it came out after mine was built.