Impact Wrench on Exmark Lazer Z HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnyjay, Mar 15, 2002.

1. johnnyjay

johnnyjay LawnSite Member

I recently bought a DeWalt Electric Impact Wrench Model DW290. So yesterday I tried to change blades using it. Guess what. It is too big now. The length of Wrench with Socket is 12 to 13 inches. Now with a 4 inch blade bolt I need 16 inches of clearance to remove & install bolt. I use a Jungle Jack to raise my mowers and I only have about 10 inches of clearance.

Any suggestions before I return this item. Thanks.
  2. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know why you don't have room. I use a regular jack stand in the lowest position to get the blades off my scag WB, and i use a normal jack for my JD ZTR and have no problem at all using an impact wrench. Are you using a deep socket or a normal socket. Anyway good luck.
  3. Loose the Jungle Jack and buy a "REAL" jack.

No problem, get you 18"-20" of clearance.
  4. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I change my blades all the time on my eXmark Lazer with the Jungle Jack. NO problems. I used a regular hydro jack with stands and the mower slipped and Squished the poop out of my finger. Several stiches later - Steve switches to Jungle Jack!

I guess I'll have to measure the clearance so I can argue better. All I know is its PLENTY of room. I know the front is 18". We'll see
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

To get enough clearance on my Lazer Hp, I installed an eye bolt in my garage ceiling and hung a winch or comealong (not sure of the correct name) from it. It works great lifting up the front of both my w/b and Lazer. I just lift up to the height I need, then set the mower on a jackstand to be safe. I might look into a small electric crane type to make it even easier. I also use an impact wrench to remove and install blades, makes it much easier and safer, in my opinion. Good luck.
  6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I don't have an exmark, but wondering if you can access a nut from the top? On my Tiger I go down from the top, and take the nut off with my impact, that way I do not have to be underneath the machine accept to pick the the blades that fall through, and replace the new ones. Just a thought cus I know that I am the king of missing the obvious.

7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

***OOPS! Double Post*** :blush:

(see post below)
  8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

What's the problem with the Jungle Jack?

I bought one the day I took delivery of my Lazer Z and it has worked well for me. It is well built, quick, simple, and easy to use, has that 'safety arm w/pin' that works great, plenty of room to use an impact wrench, and is easy to transport into the field.

I can only speculate, but Johnny's 'electric' DeWalt must be quite a bit longer (maybe his socket too) than the 'air' one that I have as space/clearance is no problem for me.

The only thing that could make it any better is if I did not have to lie down on the floor to remove the blades...but I must admit, after a long day chopping the floor feels pretty good....getting back up? Well that's another story.... :D

Is there something that I'm not aware of that we Jungle Jack users need to be made aware of?

I know it has limited uses because of the 'deck hook' thingy...but my 2 ton hydraulic floor jack is a PITA (heavy) to tote around and I feel compelled to whip out the jack stands along with it. As the Jungle Jack IS a 'glorified' jack stand is is much easier, and quicker, to use.